Chapter Two: Quidditch Try-Outs

Quidditch Try Outs

Henry, Tom, and William were all crowding around a large piece of parchment that had been placed on the Great Hall's bulletin board, whispering excitedly to one another. As soon as Earnestine's voice rang out, the three jumped simultaneously at her sudden and startling appearance. "What are you guys looking at?" 

"Geez, Earnest!" Henry exclaimed breathless as she clutched his racing heart in attempt to get it back to a normal pace. "Kill someone why don't you." 

Earnestine laughed, while William beamed at her. "Quidditch try outs are tomorrow evening on the pitch; and I, my dear lady, am going to be the first ever fist year to make the team." 

"Sure." Tom muttered sarcastically, rolling his dark eyes at the pale boy. 

"You don't believe me?" William asked, eyebrows raised. 

"No. I don't." Tom said plainly. 

William shrugged nonchalantly. 

"What's Quidditch?" Earnestine felt stupid for asking, but she simply couldn't swallow her curiosity. Earnestine felt especially out of the loop when all three boys, including her brother and Tom who knew nothing of the wizarding world prior to these two weeks that they had spent in the school, looking at her as if she had three heads. 

"What's Quidditch?!" William seemed to be the most shocked of the three, which was reasonable considering that he had grown up around all of this. 

"You're forgetting we weren't raised like you, William." Henry defended. Henry didn't quite like William as it were, and he especially didn't like him around his sister. 

Earnestine smiled secretively at her brother, fondly. 

"Quidditch," Tom explained, "Is like football for wizards. It is apparently our biggest and most popular sport. I am surprised that no one has filled you in on this yet, honestly." 

Earnestine shrugged it off. "I haven't really been taking to many people." 

Henry frowned, he sometimes wished that his sister didn't totally rely on him solely for companionship; he had hoped that them being separated would have forced her to make her own friends. Apparently she was finding it difficult. 

Earnestine, avoiding her brother's gaze, asked the other two. "How do you play?" 

William was shocked. "Girls can't..." He shut up in one look at Earnestine's serious and dangerous face. 

"We can to." Earnestine's voice was daring him to cross her; she spoke next with her lips pursed in what was now a stubborn determination. "How do you play?" 

Tom couldn't help but give the slightest smile at the girl, her constant attempts to keep up with the boys was something that defined her. Earnestine certainly wasn't going to allow her to be counted out of anything simply because of the parts she wasn't born with. "William was actually going to spend some time teaching us after lessons. You're welcome to join us, if you'd like." 

"I'll be there." Earnestine promised with a slight cocky sneer in William's direction. "And I'll be twice as good as you, simply because I am a girl." Certainly William had lost a few points in Earnestine's book simply by his snide remarks, he seemed quieter than usual. 

Earnestine gathered her school books and strode proudly towards the dungeon, her brown curls swinging side to side with each step, preparing herself for Potions class. All three boys followed behind her. 

"Good Afternoon, students." Professor Slughorn called out to the class cheerily. Tom had taken a seat next to Earnestine, giving her a polite smile as he did so. William and Henry had seated themselves across the aisle. "Today, I will have the honor of teaching you the basics of potion making."