Chapter 2-Boy Meets Best Friend

Chapter 2 Boy Meets Best Friend

I’m sitting on the public bus, staring out the window. How did my life end up like this? Being blackmailed out of trying out for the football team? I mean, what is up with that? My life is like a really messed up soap opera.

Speaking of soap operas, I start thinking about another memory.

It’s been 2 weeks since my mother’s funeral. All I do is sleep, eat, and stare at the wall. All I can think about is my mom. She was so young, and had so much more to live for. She will never get to do so many things. She will never see me graduate, she will never get to grow old with a loving husband, she will never get to play with her grandchildren, and she will never get to see me grow up. I just go over and over my recent memories with her and don’t recall any of them being very memorable. I wish I could make her last moments be special and not just being angry at her boss, and the driver who hit her. 

When it’s time for dinner, I sit and play with the food on my plate. I wasn’t in the mood for eating.

“Cory, eat your peas,” Alan orders me.

I don’t respond. I just act like he never said anything.

“Cory, stop playing with your food and eat it!” he says, raising his voice.

I shrug in response. I did not want to have to deal with him yelling at me. If I wasn’t hungry then I wasn’t hungry.

“Okay then Mister, if you want to give me the silent treatment, you can do the dishes as quietly as you want, alone.”

He takes Jack and Eric to the living room and I do the dishes, without uttering a single word.

After I was finished, I made my way to the stairs, and Alan was there blocking my path.

“Excuse me,” I muttered.

“Oh,” Alan started “Now you talk,”

“Excuse me; I’d like to go to my room,” I replied glumly.

“You’re not done with your work yet Cory. I want you to do the laundry, sweep the floors, and get the three of us some ice cream from the store.” He listed.

I looked at him, confusion written on my face.

“No way am I doing all that,” I said sternly, “I’m not your servant,”

“As a matter of fact you are, from now on you will do what Eric, Jack and I tell you. You are never to disobey us, or there will be consequences.”

I didn’t listen. I just ran upstairs to my room and locked the door, very upset.

“Like he can tell me what to do,” I said to myself.

The next day, I wake up to banging on my door.

“Cory, open up. I would like to speak to you,” I hear Alan.

I roll my eyes and open my door.

“Wha-“I was interrupted by Alan marching into my room, and grabbing my mirror.

“Hey, what are you doing with that?” I ask.

Alan doesn’t reply. He just turns around, leaving the room with it.

“You can’t do that! That mirror is mine!”

“Yes I can Cory,” Alan finally answers, “I told you last night, if you disobey us, there will be consequences. And the consequence for disobeying me last night is you mirror being taken away,” he explains.

“Fine! Take my mirror! I still won’t be you servant!” I yell stubbornly.

And I wasn’t, for about two days.

Every time Eric, Jack or Alan told me to do something, I refused, so each time I had something taken from my room. I was perfectly fine with it. I thought they were going to give up eventually but it seems like they won’t .All I have left is a mattress.

Since I didn’t want my mattress being taken away, I finally caved and became their servant. But I hate that word, so I like to call myself their “assistant for living”. It sounds cooler.

And I continue to be their assistant to this day.

I zone back into real life, and realize the bus has stopped in front of my school. I walk down the steps, saying thank you to the bus driver, and glance up at my school.

School is complicated for me. I love learning and writing and reading new books for class, but I hate all the students around me. They’re all rude and mean, and I don’t like the atmosphere. And let’s not forget, Eric and Jack are some of the most popular kids in school. Shoot me now.

“Another day in paradise,” I mumble to myself while climbing the steps to my school.

I’m walking down the hallway, and feel an arm go around me. I immediately know who it is.

“Hey Shawn,” I say to my best friend.

“Hey, Cinderdude!” he replies.

I roll my eyes at the name he calls me.

I told Shawn about my living standards back at my house in Grade 8. We had been talking to each other frequently for a couple of years, and he was the only person I considered a friend in my school, so I told him my story.

And do you know what his reply was? Of course you don’t, but I’ll tell you anyway.

“Woah, you’re like that chick Cinderella! You know what I should call you? ‘Cinderdude’, get it? ‘Cause you’re a dude?”

Ever since that day, that’s what he calls me. But on lucky days, he still calls me Cory.

“Dude, I need to tell you what happened this morning,”

----------------AUTHOR'S NOTE----------------------

Picture of Shawn on the side!

Comment, Vote, Fan!

-Michelle :)