Chapter 1

"Time is slipping away. Every morning, I get closer to being dead. Well, more dead. My name is Devon Anarchy. I am a demon, a man of the Dark. A dying, dead man." Devon Anarchy mumbled into a Dictaphone. Demons are born and are unborn. They are dead from the moment they come into existence. When a demon is unborn, they tend to have a goal. A fate that needs to be completed before 'dying'.

If said fate is achieved, the demon can live In-Between. Technically, one can never die, for if you are in the middle, you have a light copy, and if you have a light copy, you gain a dark copy that can fulfil a goal, who then becomes the In-Betweener. However, if your light copy is dead, you are restricted to a certain amount of time to finish the task - a.k.a a year.

"I only have a month. I know this because 11 months ago, I killed my Light-Half. Should have read the fine print in my contract. I don't want to, nay, can't enter the eternal silence. When a devil fails to achieve, they truly become dead. The Eternal Silence is only a fate only the Light-Halves deserve. To discover my way, I need to find the Scroll Master."

Devon turned off the small device and went to the door and he put on his coat.