Chapter Thirteen - Strange Deeds

I let out a small exhale of relief as Ranger stepped out of the tiny shack and made his way down the narrow path leading toward us. Beside me, Ethan made a similar sound - though it was more of a grunt than an exhale.

"Finally." Ethan's shoulders relaxed some, and he glanced into the rear-view mirror at the blond as he passed around the back of the car. I chanced a glance back as well as Ethan stepped out of the truck to greet him with a friendly slap on the shoulder.

The door shut again before I could make out what they were saying, leaving me to stare with mild frustration at them through the window. For a moment Ethan was the one doing all the talking, making small gestures with his hands before ultimately waving an arm over the hood of the car toward the shack.

Ranger shook his head, his lips moving so minutely I had no chance of reading them. And though I couldn't see much of Ethan as his back was turned to me, I could see the outline of his now very tense jaw.

For a moment they stood, staring at each other in what I could guess to be a mental wrestling match. Then Ethan was opening the back door of the truck and sliding in at the same time Ranger took his place silently at the wheel.

He started the truck and it rumbled to life eagerly. He spared a glance toward me before we began to pull away from the shack.

"I got a few things that should help us out. And keep you," He gave me a pointed look. "out of trouble."

Not a moment later, he was dangling a small jar in front of my face expectantly. Right away I noticed the odd symbol etched carefully upon its surface, but I didn't question it as I took it to hold in my hands.

"Wait, a few things? Ranger-"

"I'll handle it." Ranger cut him off, much to Ethan's obvious displeasure. I hadn't ever seen a grown man pout and cross his arms like a toddler, but I knew if I didn't look away soon I'd laugh hard enough to crack a rib.

I managed to pull my gaze away, laughter caught in my throat. In an attempt to hide it - though I had a strong feeling Ranger knew - I carefully turned the jar in my hands as though to observe it closely. Though soon I really was observing it with obvious curiosity.

It was cold, as though it had been submerged in ice water. And from the moisture lingering around the top, I could guess indeed it had been. And though it looked handmade, it was remarkably smooth. Almost delicate looking. The strange symbol on it looked almost like a trident, and I couldn't place exactly where I'd seen it before.

A moment later, something long and somewhat scratchy was placed over my wrist; hanging limply and giving off an odd scent that was somewhat irritating.

"That's for your wrist."

And as I glanced up, I noticed the truck was also moving once more over the dirt road. And Ethan seemed far more relaxed as the shack faded from the rear-view mirror.

"And... what are they for?" I questioned, placing the jar on my lap to carefully start winding the thin piece of vine around my wrist. Just tight enough so that it wouldn't fall off or cut off circulation. After studying it for a moment I looked back toward Ranger.

"Like I said. Keeps you from getting into any more trouble." His voice gave no room for questioning, but I didn't need to question anything as Ethan continued to speak.

"Reapers don't go after people for the fun of it. They're very particular. And generally... they only go after someone who is going to die soon."

My heart froze.

"Wait... you mean, die die?"

"Well, yeah." Ethan seemed somewhat confused by the fact that I'd needed clarification. "Does your world not have them?"

I shook my head dumbly.

"No. We don't have... Reapers... We have, killers, murderers, but not Reapers." I bit my tongue against saying more, in fear I would start to ramble.

The Ghoul I could deal with; human looking, human sounding, and probably a human at one point. Reapers, from what I'd learned, were the warning before death and the final swing of the hammer that nailed your coffin shut. Both Ranger and Ethan had history with Reapers. Ethan's in particular was the more violent, and thankfully not his reaper.

It was for his parents.

A classical case of dead parent syndrome shoved both of them onto the road they were.

"Ella." My eyes cut to Ranger, who glanced at me from the corner of his eye for a small moment before focusing on the road once more.

"I'll keep you safe. I promise." His voice became firm toward the end, as though leaving no room for discussion.

"We both will." Ethan emphasized, and I felt his hand place itself on my shoulder. I gave him a small smile in return, though it did little to ease my worry.

Dealing with the fact that I might not be able to get home was enough of a problem in my book. With already two monsters tucked under my belt, and a possible witch considering Ghouls never strayed from a master, I felt as though the world was turning against me.

Then again, that would also make me just as real as them.

x-x-x

Short chapter. Forgive, forgive.

But Comment, and vote! Cookies are handed out daily.

I read every single comment and keep them for motivation.

SO YOU'RE DOING GREAT THINGS.