The Searching

• Dedicated to James, because he always believed in me

I could feel the knife pressing against my throat. I licked my lips slowly, and thoughtfully. "I don't know where he is." I almost didn't hear myself. The Itachi Clan man looked at me and I had to fight not to change- I knew if I would, I would die. "Young ones are not meant to die." I knew what he meant. The Itachi did not believe in killing young wolves. My clan, the Blacks, didn't agree with that. If you did wrong you paid the price.

"I really don't know where he is." I pleaded the truth. I silently cursed my father for leaving me when I was five in the care of the clan. When the clan tried to explain my father had to run from the Itachi to me and my eight siblings, none of it made sense. Why would he run? He was a good man. The Black Army could hold the Itachi off, couldn't they? I grew up in question of the clan. 

Since then I couldn't really trust people like I could before my father left us. I had always been skittish but right now I was calm. "Please let me go. I don't know where he is. He left ten years ago when I was really little." This time it was the man who cursed. He lowered the knife and I swallowed, following his movements. "Very well. I'm sorry we had to meet like this Miss Link. Good day." The man nodded and I blinked. 

"Halla, Halla!" I heard Iris my nine year old sister yell. Cringing, I turned around and slipped on a cheery smile. "They picked him, they picked him!" My smiled dropped. Today was the day the Blacks picked my husband to be. I had almost forgotten. "Well might as well get this over with." I murmured and took Iris' hand. "Let's go meet the unlucky chap." I chuckled darkly. 

"No no!" Iris squealed. "We can't see him until tonight remember?" I sighed angrily. Right. The rules were it’s a surprise who your husband will be until the night before you get married to him. “He’s a fag.” My younger brother Logan who is twelve scoffed. “What?” I asked. “He’s an F-A-G, Halla.” Drake, my fourteen year old brother spelled it out for me. I smacked them both on the side of the head. “Don’t call anyone a fag, boys. Halla’ll kill you.” My older brother Daniel who’s nineteen laughed. “Damn right.” Sasha my sister who’s thirteen, Shora my twin, and I all grinned at once.

“Sasha! Shora! Halla!” My older brother Jasper who just turned seventeen scolded all three of us even though Daniel, the oldest and most responsible one, burst out laughing. “If they can swear why can’t we?” Tyler, my youngest brother, asked for his twin Iris. “Because swearing is rude.” My last siblings Carey smiled, brushing back my hair. She’s the oldest of us girls, being sixteen, and therefore the most motherly.

“So what’s he like?” I asked, ignoring everyone’s comments with an innocent smile. “He’s handsome.” Carey almost purred. “Outspoken.” Logan wrinkled his nose. “Rude.” Iris rolled her eyes. “Bad.” Tyler blinked angrily. “Dead.” I heard Jasper murmur. “Excuse me?” I asked. Daniel shot him a look. “I’m not marrying a-“ I looked at Iris and Tyler who were almost laughing now. “a… frickin vampire.”

“No, Halla. I meant if he hurts you he’s dead.” Jasper didn’t seem to happy about this guy. Wonderful. “He’s a bad-ass.” Daniel added. “Oh no. Shi-“ Tyler giggled. “Fu-“ Iris grinned. “Dammit! He’s rich, isn’t he?” I asked. Sasha and Shora exchanged a look before nodding. “It’s Mason Driver, isn’t it?” I groaned. Shora bit her lip. Great. I have to marry the most bad ass, richest, most scariest guy in school. DAMN DAMN DAMN