Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

I calmly set my intimidating gun on the porch and stepped onto the gravel of the driveway. The pale light hit my eyes as I stepped further away from my weapon. I knew better than to drop my gun, but I wasn't thinking as I made my way to the little family.

"Imogen!" Genuine fear was in Declan's voice as he called to me. "Please get back over here."

I pretended not to notice his reaction- I wasn't about to start thinking on the idea that Tristan's theory was true. Nervously glancing back, I saw Declan's fear as he watched me. It slipped my mind as soon as I turned my back to face the family. One of the twins was standing protectively in front of her sister, as though she would be there to defend her from me.

"Hey," I squatted down in front of them and smiled. "Where are you guys headed?"

"A survival colony," The father answered. "We needed a place- but if you guys are already here we can hit the road. Please just let us go." He was pleading with me.

I nodded, thinking it over. "The kids can't be out after dark. It's not safe. Pick up your guns and follow me."

The little girl was skeptical. "A man tried to hurt Mommy, you won't hurt her right?"

"What?" I felt horrified at the thought of it. Geez.

"We'll talk later," The woman whispered. She looked tired and frightened. She had every reason, so I made sure to give her understanding look. The kids didn't need to hear it all.

I gave them all a quick grin before holding a hand out to the little girl. She glared, but her sister ran to me and gave me a hug. I tensed before hugging her back.

"Get up here, Imogen," Declan warned. "We all need to get inside."

He was already at my side and tugging me to the house. I complied and helped the family get through the door.

They all sat down on the couch and kept their space as we locked up. The family looked like they were finally at rest, which made me glad that I had a small role in it.

Declan tapped my shoulder, so I turned to face him. Before I could say anything, I was being hugged. By Declan Blaze no less.

"What was that for-"

"You scared me," He whispered. "You scared me. I don't- be careful who you trust."

The mom cleared her throat. "You guys are a couple right? I think it's great to see young people falling in love even with the circumstances."

I coughed awkwardly and felt my cheeks turn hot. The room was spinning.

Tristan spoke up, "As much as Alex and I would love to see them together- it's unfortunately not gonna happen yet."

The mom laughed and stood up to shake my hand. "I'm Jane. You're Imogen right? That poor boy has it bad for you, saying your name that many times."

I had never seen Declan blush. But he was pink as he set his weapon on the table next to mine. He scratched his ears and smirked. "If anything she and my brother-"

"Nope," Alex replied. "She's my sister practically." I was both relieved and perplexed. He was confusing. At least I felt less bad for not returning his affections.

"Anyway, I'm Imogen, and Declan and Alex are the twins. The handsome boy over there is Tristan, he's my best friend," I clapped my hands. "What are you daughter's names?"

The two girls were identical twins, pretty young too. "I'm Jessie," The shy one smiled at me and waved. I waved back before she disappeared behind her sister.