Future Feature

Summer came and went, school was back in session and the most important part of school was about to begin.

    Numerous students walked into the schools most prized part of the campus.  The school auditorium, specially made for the world class symphony.  As more students walked in a new person was among them.

    “Everyone please take a seat, I have some explaining to do.”  Bewildered faces stared at this strange man.  All wondered where their old instructor was.

    “Who are you?”

    “You may call me Maestro, and that is it.”

    “I can already tell that I don’t like you, where is our director?”   The new man that was standing among all the hungry eyes started to walk around.  I was quite obvious by the expression he wore that he was annoyed by the rude remarks girl he didn’t even know made.

    “Well, Diva, if you must know at this very moment.  Your old director has retired,”  The class grew loud with complains, “but I am here to take his spot.”  The girl who spoke to the new man before, got up and started walking toward the one called Maestro.  His eyes began to flood with anger, only the first day and he was being harassed by his students.

    “What do you want?,”  Maestro's whisper whipped at the girl and she just looked away, “I’m not going to put up with you at all. It’s only the beginning of the year and I know we’re going to have problems, so just leave my class now!”  The whole class stared at the scene and watched in horror, anticipating what would happen next.

    The girl faced the new teacher and said, “Well just to let you know I am this school principal violin player --”

    "Well just to let you know, I don't care how talented you are, I don’t care for you.  Your presence does not suit this room and I want you to leave.”   The class stared at the crazy man, all were wondering what would become of the symphony now that their best player was gone.  In their eyes, the symphony was being destroyed.  She was the only first violin player they had.  All of the others were seniors the year before and no one was going to move up.  This was the year the principal violinist would be featured in all of their performances, but plans change fast apparently.

    The Maestro turned to the group and merely said, “Stop gawking.”  and took the girl by her arm.  He walked her to the door which was thrown open.  The girl was thrown outside and when the door slammed it locked itself.  All eyes remained upon the Maestro and a wave of fear flooded all of their thoughts.

    “Class. . .is there anyone in this class that can take the first violin part?”  No one answered.  “Who can do it?”  His voice now getting soft and he sank into the nearest chair.

    “Well, Maestro, there is one person.  The only thing is, she doesn’t play violin.”  The teacher looked up and searched for the person talking.

    “Who is it and what do they play?”  He searched the crowd waiting for an answer.

    “Her name is Lyra,”  the class was shocked by the name that was brought up.  The class stirred and they all looked over at Lyra who was sitting in the corner of the front row, “she plays harp.”

    Everyone stared at her and then at Maestro.  He walked over to her and asked, “Lyra, what grade are you in?”

    She looked up and answered, “I’m a sophomore this year.”

    “Well I’m sorry to say that we must find another person to take the Diva’s spot.  Some people from violin II will have to move up.”  He walked away from Lyra and went over to the violins pointing at each of them.  All of them shook their heads, no.  Maestro then went back to his position and looked at the whole class before him.