Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

Olivia takes another mouthful of potato salad she'd made early today. She stretches out onto the cabin floor, leaning on my leg and then rubs her stomach. Her eyes flicker shut and I wonder what she's thinking about and whatever it is, I hope it's nothing bad. Her lips twitch up into a smile as she whispers that she's stuffed. I take a moment to finish the last of my cold chicken and then run my fingers through her dark hair. She laughs softly taking a couple of seconds to let in the sight and smell of the cabin. The room we're in is basically empty, other than the built in kitchen, fridge, shaggy carpet and few family photos there isn't much else. The bedrooms pretty empty too, just a double bed and mirror. The bathroom follows the same pattern. The thing is though, is that I like it. I like being in the middle of nowhere with Olivia. I like being in a tiny little cabin that only contains us and nothing more. I like it this way. I like Olivia.

“I wanted to get you beer or something, but I'm under age.” She says rolling onto her elbows.

“I don't drink anyway.”

She smiles sitting up she pops the plates, bowls and cutlery into a little pile beside our coven of food, “I have something for you too, but it isn't finished yet. You'll have to wait until Monday. I really tried to get it done. I guess it's better not to rush anyway.”

“I thought we agreed on not getting each other anything. That's not fair.”

“I made it, there's a difference.”

I stand up and help Olivia to her feet; she's small in my arms, a feather weight. I hold her there for a moment as we reminisce about our two months together. Two months that feels like we've known each other for years and years. The sun peels through the curtains and for once in a very long time I can't bring myself to worry about Cindy or my mother and I can't think about Johnny or Sydney. Because right now, they don't exist any longer and I want to ask Olivia if she'd stay and live in this tiny and empty cabin forever and if it wasn't for the fact that I know all those thoughts would come back, I would have asked as soon as set foot in the front door. If not sooner. Why couldn't I have asked Olivia years ago, why had I waited so long?

“Do you love me, Brandon?” Olivia says standing back a step, “I mean I don't want you to just say yes, I want to know the truth and even-”

“It's supposed to be a scientific fact that once you've liked a person longer than four months, then you're in love.” Scientific opposed to reading it in an email and being told that.

“How long have you liked me?”

“A few years.”

“So what are you saying?” I can see her eyes turn into some kind of serious smile.

“Have you liked me before we got together?”

“You always had so many other girls hang around you and your friends.”

That's not an answer.”

“A little while then.” Olivia pauses, pressing a couple fingers to her chin as though she's really, really thinking about something, weighing some options that must weigh at least half a ton each. When she looks at me again she smiles and I can't wish for a better day. I wouldn't trade this one for anything. Even if it was raining right now and the roof was leaking or if there was a storm and the roof had blown off, this day could not be ruined.

It will not.

“I want to try something.” Olivia says eyeing the bedroom door.

I only wish, if I could change anything today that I'd saved myself for her as she has for me.