Chapter 2 - A Not-So-Good Start

• Dedicated to Lava <3

I stole a glance at the jewel watch on my wrist, the time was 08:25am, phew, I thought, I had just enough time to find my locker and put my things away. I looked around at my new surroundings. There were groups of boys and girls everywhere. I could already see that this was a school where everyone definitely wasn’t equal, why did brochures always lie?, I thought rolling my eyes.

I could see a group of newbie year sevens looking around with worried looks on their faces. A group of Goths huddled behind a building. I turned round and saw the average guys and girls talking to each other. The football players with the cheerleaders. The geeks with the neeks. And finally there were the Queen-bees. That’s where I wanna be, I thought to myself. Everyone seemed to have already gone to their lockers so I made my way to the first entrance I saw. The people around the doors turned around to see who the new student was, once they saw me they turned back to talk to their friends again like I was just some other person. Humph, just wait, in a few days they would all be following me asking me for fashion advice and asking me out on dates.

I was in the corridors but I couldn’t see where the lockers were. The tiles on the floor was black and faded. The walls had been painted over the summer and were a clean cream colour and the smell of paint still lingered in the air. I considered going up to ask someone for directions but I didn’t want to look like the helpless newbie, I wanted to look like I knew what I was doing so I just decided to go in search of the lockers myself. I took a step to the left when I felt someone nudge me on my shoulder.

“The lockers are on the right, want me to show you where?” I spun round surprised to hear someone talking. It turned out to be some really fit guy that I hadn’t seen in the playground. He looked about sixteen. I didn’t even know his name so I decided to not let myself fall for him so quickly. I nodded to him and smiled my dazzling smile without saying anything. He walked me to the right then turned left then went on straight then left then out to another building then right again.Argh! I’m never going to remember this, I thought.

“Don’t worry, I’ll show you till you get the hang of it, what’s your name?’ he offered like he’d read my mind.

“Lucy and thanks a lot, what ‘bout you?”

“Name’s Shaun” he grinned

“Cool, umm, do you know where room… 37A is?” I asked opening the folder I was holding to check where I would be getting registered.

“ Sure, you gonna be in 10LM are you?” he asked

“ Yep, what class you in?” I asked finding it easy to talk to him.

“ 11AK, the number stands for your year and the letters are the initials of your form tutor in case you didn’t know” he told me trying to be helpful.

I looked into his eyes, chocolate brown and mysterious. He had the most gorgeousmessy brown hair too. I hope I wasn’t getting a crush on him, what if he had a girlfriend? Oh well, I’d find out soon enough.

Shaun walked me to room 37A and promised me he’d come collect me to take me to my first lesson after registration. I thanked him again whilst he grabbed a Sharpie and scribbled a copy of my timetable on his hand. He waved before turning a corner to go to his own class. I waved back and sighed when he was out of sight. I was wondering why he'd been so nice to me. People weren't normally like that.

Oh no, a thought struck me, what if he had been told to look after me, that would completely dent my plans. I didn't want to be the newbie who needed a tour guide so she wouldn't get lost. Oh great, I thought sarcasticly. Just what I need. At least he was older and hot, might be a bonus. I shrugged and turned back to the door, freshly painted blue yet already vandalised. This is going to be interesting, I thought.