TSCC: Episode 1, Chapter 5

DISCLAIMER: I do not own these characters or the show.

_______________________________________________________

EPISODE 1

I'LL ALWAYS FIND YOU: Chapter 5

John started out walking slowly to the mess hall, not wanting to face what he knew he would have to face. I wish I could just go home. None of this will matter anyway.

This thought comforted John, and then he realized that the sooner he got there, the sooner he could get out. He hated the idea of leaving Cameron alone. So he began to walk faster. He soon reached the mess hall.

When he walked in, everyone stopped talking. It must be lunchtime, John surmised, as he knew it was too late to be breakfast. He hadn't actually expected everyone to be there. What are the chances that he'd wake up right at the time everyone else was eating? Kyle was staring at him, expectantly. He motioned for John to sit across from him, and John watched as Kyle motioned to someone across the room.

John hesitantly approached the table and sat down.

"I see you were smart enough not to bring your friend."

"Yes. I didn't think people would have a good reaction to seeing her."

"It is a bit jarring, the similarity."

"It was for me."

"Excuse me?"

"The similarity. It was jarring for me."

Understanding hit Kyle's face. He leaned forward, intrigued. "When you first saw Allison. That's why you kept staring at her."

"I tried not to. But I came here looking for Cameron. Five minutes here, and suddenly I see her. Or I thought I did."

A soldier came by then and placed a plate of food in front of John. That must have been what Kyle was gesturing about, John thought to himself. He hungrily began eating the food.

"How did you know it wasn't her?"

"The dog."

"Yeah, the dog would be a sign, wouldn't it? If it had been...Cameron...", he had a hard time calling the machine by name, "then the dog would have reacted to that."

"Yes, it would have."

"Which brings up the question, why does Cameron look like Allison?"

It took John a moment to answer. He didn't really know. He hadn't thought to ask Cameron. He knew what he assumed, but he wasn't sure if he was right.

"I can't be sure, but I believe that Cameron was modeled after Allison."

"Why Allison?"

"I'm pretty sure Cameron was made to look like Allison so that she could infiltrate my camp. It didn't work. I knew who she was right away."

"Your camp? You have your own camp?"

"Yes. Not here."

"Of course not here. This is my camp."

"No, I mean nowhere near here. Not in this reality."

"Now you've really stopped making sense."

"Look, it's really not important. It's way too confusing, and it doesn't matter anyway. Soon, we'll be gone, and you'll never have to think of us again."

Kyle seemed to resign to this fact. For now. But he could easily change his mind. "Okay. But if anything happens...."

"It won't. What are you going to tell Allison?"