The Beginning of It All

It's so dark. The musty smell of the container I seem to be trapped in fills the air. I do not know where I am. I don't know how long I've been awake like this, pacing as much as I can in the cramped space. The soft bottom of the box I am in is tempting to my tired brain, but I need to know more before I can sleep at all. My little heart seems to be beating it's way out of my furry chest. Stay, I whisper to it. It does not listen. There is only one thing I can rely on to find out more about this place. My puppy senses. And so I sniff. Again, the overwhelming aroma of the musty box I am in; and then, there is something else... A tree? The woody scent is unmistakable. I have had only one experience with a tree, when I was born. My home was a warm den beneath a rocky overhang. A creature that I depended on (I can not remember it's name) was sleeping beside me. When the creature stirred again, it rose up, long elegant legs extending, and led me Outside.
"The Outside," it said, folding it's beautiful head down toward me, "It is a wonderful place, but contains many dangers. Be careful but curious, young one."
"Yes," I said solemnly, as I hit my head on the rough surface of a long thing touching the sky. A shower of white powdery stuff landed on my head. I jumped back, flailing my head wildly, my ears flopping everywhere. I twitched my nose, looking at the warm loving creature.
"Danger?" I asked.
"No, snow. Snow is fine as long as you don't get buried or too cold," it assured me.
"And what is this?" I inquired, pawing the long rough thing.
"That's a tree. Trees are our friends."
I smelled it, inhaling the tangy yet sweet freshness.
Those were the good times, when I had a home to come back to and someone to take care of me and love me.  Then everything had changed. The creature had been taken away, I had been grabbed and dragged the opposite way. We both cried out, knowing we'd never see each other again. Then everything went black.
There was a flash of light. A painful pinch on my back end and neck. More grabby things taking me different places. Another flash of light.
And now here I was.
Suddenly everything around me becomes brighter. The box is no longer a dark danger. Loud stomps come from somewhere to the left and above me. A squeal rings through the space. And then a slit in the top of my container opens, spilling light onto me and everything in my area.
"Look! A dog!" says a loud voice. Two pudgy hands find their way into the box and try to touch me. I back into the corner, terrified. I need the creature right now, more than anything. I am pretty sure those hands and the voice are danger.

*************************************