Starting A New Life

Here I stand. At the front door of the building where my new start will be. When I thought about chronicling these cherished memories, it occurred to me that this could be the only proper place to start. Not that I won't give you any of my background. After the disease had hit, I was alone. I had friends, and knew where family was but reaching them would prove to be difficult. After 3 years, I was found by my older cousin, Leroy. He told me that he had moved into grandpa's old farm, and had a successful business raising crops. I moved there with him and in 5 years the business had flourished. The urban cities had begun to hustle and bustle as technologies from the past were reopened. Some children had established a government which, in time, took over my area, which was formerly Colorado. Things were still dangerous, but because of the government, many luxuries of life before the disease were becoming available. In fact they had reopened gas stations, hospitals, police stations, fire stations, and the first shadows of former life were creeping back. But other factions had risen aside from this one. And because of this, leaving the province could be dangerous. Anyone traveling between provinces in unclaimed land would be subject to marauder bands, pirates, and the like. 

That's why we had to be constantly on guard. The farm was just a few miles within the province's territory and if it was robbed by anyone from the outside, it would be a while before help could arrive. So with all this in mind, we would tend to the farm. My favorite thing to do would be to fly grandpa's old cropduster. I'd taught myself to fly, gotten a lot a practice, and become a good pilot in the 3 years I'd been able to use it. I learned aerial tricks and would put a show on at the carnival held once a year in our small town. Leroy would always say, "Some day you'll get out of here and fly more than just around our field." He wanted me to be more than just a farmer. He wanted me to fly in the cities and maybe restart an airline.

One day while dusting our field, I noticed two trucks driving away from the house. I thought it was strange they were driving off full speed. And it was even stranger that we had company. Leroy was preparing to run errands in town, so he wouldn't have invited anyone over. So I cut the flight short and landed. Upon walking in the house, I saw the door was kicked off and stuff was gone I yelled for my cousin and searched for him until I saw a trail of blood leading into his office. I found him by his cabinet. The doors were still open and an envelope was in his hand. I tried CPR but i knew it was too late. When I looked at the envelope i saw it was addressed to me.

At his funeral, I reflected on how he had helped me. He went looking for me and spent a lot of time searching. When he found me, he took me in and we became very close. His advice proved invaluable, and he was a man of good character. But he was killed for money. They evn took the watch from his wrist. Grandpa had given it to him before he died and it meant much to him. While at the reception, as things winded down, I told these things to Jackie, Leroy's girlfriend. I

also told her about the letter. I had still not had the courage to open it. She gave an answer that sounded like exactly what my cousin would say.  "()"

What I found inside were 2 letters. One for me and one for a man named Jeff Jennings. I only read the one addressed to me. It reads: Clark, you've been with me on this farm for seven years. In that time, I've watched you work hard, spend hours helping others, and become a strong young man. I'm happy I found you. You have become as close as a brother to me. But now its time for you to leave. You can't spend forever on this farm. The other letter is addressed to Jeff Jennings. He's the owner of a shipping business in the city. I've known him for a long time and have kept in touch with him since the the disease hit. We've mused before about you joining his company. The letter should get you the job. I've hired a farm hand to replace you and you should consider this letter your pink slip. While I'm taking care of business in the city, I want you to pack essentials and be prepared for me to take you there when I get back. His company provides living quarters for those who need it and you will be happy there. I love you my cousin and I rue the sad goodbyes we'll exchange when I get home. But you are a good young man. And I know you may be afraid. This is a completely new experience for you. But remember, courage is more than a feeling, and valor is greater than an emotion. The fear may linger but it’s about what you do despite your fears.