Revenge is never sweet

Damien’s POV

We had been running for about 20 minutes before we finally had to collapse. We couldn’t run anymore and to be honest this was the first time I had ever wished our school to be smaller. No matter how far or fast we ran we never seemed to get anywhere. It was too dark to see and we were basing everything on memory, normally this would have been fine but with the threat behind us we couldn’t really concentrate.

"We need to breathe"

Ryan’s voice ran out in the dark, silent corridor and I hissed at him

"Shut up man, or at least whisper"

I still held Hikari's hand and sometime during the running she had stopped shaking

"Hikari you okay?"

She was silent for a minute and then I heard her sigh

"Yeah, I’m okay; angel will get to us soon"

She sounded so sure and certain of that, like it was a fact. It made me wonder just how many times she had been through something like this with angel.

We all tensed and flattened ourselves against the wall when a door opened and shut somewhere further down the hall

"Come out, come out wherever you are"

The sing song voice cut through my mind and I could feel the fear running through me again. Ryan’s breath hitched and Hikari took a firmer hold on my hand

"I know your here somewhere"

I must have broken his stupid goggles when I kicked him in the face so he was just as blind as we were.

His footsteps echoed in the hall and the three of us scrunched up further together.

"Aww c'mon don’t hide, let’s play"

His childlike voice was staring to grate on me and I knew it was having the same effect on Ryan as I could hear him grinding his teeth. It seemed anger overruled fear.

I nudged Ryan to stop him from making any noise and then for the first time in my life I heard the sound of a gun. It wasn’t like in the movies, it wasn’t cool or funny. The noise reverberated in my ears. It was like a loud bang that seemed to shake the foundations of the building.

It was nearby and I knew that was where angel was. I just hoped he wasn’t the one on the receiving end of the bullet.

"Shit"

The man following us had stopped stalking towards us and had listened for any further noise. When he didn’t hear anything he turned on his heels and ran in the opposite direction, toward angel and the other person, toward the sound of the gun.

"That was a 9mm, it was angel’s gun"

Hikari’s voice was calm as she said this. How the hell did she know what kind of gun it was?! As if reading my mind she spoke again

"Angel taught how to recognise the different sounds. I don’t know all of them but I can recognise angels one easily"

I nodded even though she couldn’t see me

"We should find the generator or something"

Ryan’s smart thinking lead us further down the hall and in the general direction of the generator. It had enough back up power to give us some light. Enough light to find angel and get out of here.

"When we turn the generators on I want you two out of this building and finding Brent or Michael. They should know what to do"

I knew they would start arguing so I immediately pulled them to a stop