The Devil Wears Prada

I recently watched The Devil Wears Prada as it was a suggested 'chick flick' film. From the cover of the DVD I thought it looked quite interesting and something that would appeal to me as it showed relation to fashion by having a shiny red heel, something that most girls/women are partial too! This film also features two iconic celebrities Anne Hathaway and Meryl Streep who both were amazing actresses throughout. The basic plot of this film is that a women named Andrea (Andy) has just graduated and has decided to look for work as a journalist. She then gets the job as a PA at the ever so glamorous and amazing Runway magazine which is known by anyone and everyone who loves fashion. She is working for the patronizing and intimidating yet amazing Miranda Priestly who everyone appears to know but her. She doesn't have a clue who Miranda is and she has no idea about fashion by the way she appears at the beginning of the film. However, after getting the job and working hard for her goal to be a journalist she decides to give herself a new look in order to be taken more seriously which she does. Throughout the film she is being spoken too like she is worthless and being told to run silly errands like fetching coffee. Andy later finds herself leading a completely different life because of the time being consumed spent running errands for the magazine and even for Miranda's personal life. She ends her relationship on bad terms and can see herself becoming a different person after going to Paris with Miranda replacing her colleague who she saw as a friend and had guided her at the beginning. Towards the end of the film when Miranda decides she is leaving and has led one of her most trustworthy workers to believe he is going to have a major promotion and then ends up not getting it, Andy expresses her feelings to Miranda about what she has done to the the colleague (Nigel). Miranda however does not seem slightly bothered about this and even compares Andy to her for taking her colleagues place with her in Paris. After hearing this Andy realizes what she has done over the past few months and leaves Miranda in Paris and when arrives home she redeems her relationship with her partner Nate. She then finds a new job which after needing a reference called Miranda and she herself told them that she was a good worker and they would be 'a fool not to hire her'. Overall, the film ends on a high note for Andy.

                          I found this film rather enjoyable, and I have heard of it quite a lot and it seems to be rather popular for its name to have cropped up so many times. However, even though it is popular and enjoyable I feel it is hyped up more than it should be as it isn't as mind blowing as it is spoken to be. I feel that the film is a lot more popular than it should be due to who plays the two main characters, Andrea (Anne Hathaway) and of course Miranda (Meryl Streep) and even though I feel this way about the film I do not feel this way at all about the actors. Meryl was amazing throughout and after watching Mamma Mia I have noticed that she can portray complete opposite roles amazingly and her character was very believable throughout even after seeing her in other films. Anne Hathaway is an amazing actress also, however, I feel that most films she plays a similar sort of character and doesn't go out of her comfort zone. For example, in Bride Wars she plays the best friend who was always the 'belittled' friend who gets too caught up in winning throughout the film and then her relationship suffers in the end causing her to realize what she has done and for her to redeem herself much like in this film. I still feel that she is an amazing actress and portrays her roles well.

Please note that in this review are my own personal opinions and you may have a complete different outlook on this film and if so I do not mean to offend anyone or the actresses themselves.