Unveiling

Basically, this is where it all began. The day my father, Dr. Winters, was told that he was being transferred to a hospital in Dallas. Why in Dallas you ask yourself? Well my father was one heck of a doctor; he still is, except he doesn't practice medicine as much anymore. Ever since I disappeared, more like ran off but, you get the point. I'm Katherine Winters, most people just call me Katy, and this is why I ran away.

The sun shone brightly through the purple silk curtains hanging on the top of the window. A warm breeze crept its way through the half opened window. I slowly shifted in bed clinging to my blankets greedily. I slightly opened my eyes trying to adjust to the brightness of the morning sun. My gaze eventually found the alarm clock on my night stand. 9:58 a.m. is what it read. My head sunk back into my feather filled pillow as I sighed with contentment, smiling to myself relieved that school was over for summer. I let sleep make its way back to my body as I heard my door open slowly. My mother's head came into view.

"Katy, sweetheart, it's time to wake up. Your father made breakfast." She said faintly louder than a whisper.

"Mhm, I'll be down in a sec." I replied groggily into my pillow.

She lightly shut the door. Her footsteps became less audible as she walked further away from my room. I sat up in my bed as I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes. For a moment I thought about what my mom said earlier, your father made breakfast, he never makes breakfast though. Unless there's something he needs to tell us or he's in a really good mood. Hopefully it's the second one. Last time he made breakfast he told us that he bought a new car, and that we couldn't go on vacation because he spent all that money on his new Ferrari, which he never uses anymore. Here's to praying it's not one of those midlife crises again.

I walked to my personal bathroom across from my room, dragging my shark slippers on the carpet floor. Looking myself in the mirror I noticed my black hair looked like a mop on the top of my head. I grabbed a few elastics from the bottom drawer of my white cabinet and tried to make a messy bun out of the mess that I called my hair. I looked myself over in the mirror once more checking to see if my shoulder tattoo was healing nicely.

As I pulled out my chair from the breakfast bar my father set down a plate full of bacon and little breakfast potatoes. Oh no, it's another one of those midlife crises, please lord let it be something good, I thought to myself. We all sat around the table, glancing at one another ever so often, and the tension slowly filling the room, when my father finally broke the silence

"Alright, I'm guessing you're all wondering why I called you all down here and made breakfast. No, I didn't buy another car, and I'm not going to. I just wanted to tell you guys that I'm being transferred to a hospital in Dallas." He spoke without his voice wavering. My mother's eyes widened, unsure how to process the news.

My father is this big shot doctor, he goes travels a lot, from one hospital to another but, he never stays there longer than a few weeks. Basically, my father made some discoveries when he was in the middle of a brain surgery and since then he's been in a few medical magazines and has spoken at some big doctor conferences but, nothing too extravagant.

"Eliot, what are you saying?" my mother asked with confusion.

"I'm saying that we're moving to Dallas, they've offered me a job at one of the top hospitals in the Country, I couldn't say no." he answered as if it was the easiest thing he's ever said.

"What? NO! I'm not going! My friends are here, I can't leave!" my sister screamed, flailing her arms in the air like a deranged child. She's such a drama queen.

"Shut it, April." I snarled, "You always overreact over little things, like can you just shut up for once?" I rolled my eyes and bit into a piece of bacon as my sister glared at me.

"Katherine Winters, we did not raise you to speak like that to your little sister!" my mother spoke clearly aggravated.

"I only said what you guys were thinking." I smirked proud with myself. My parents had no answer.

"If you guys are done, I'd like to go over the whole moving to another country thing." My sister and I both nodded. "Alright then, the hospital has given us a month to pack everything up. In two weeks we are scheduled for some open houses in Dallas..."

"So this means you guys are leaving soon?" I asked excitedly.

"Katy, this move also includes you, you know that right?" He says quite evidently.

"I'm gonna stay with Brittany and her folks." I said as if it was pretty obvious in the first place, like why wouldn't I stay with her? "It's not like I'm going to move to another country."

"You're coming with us Katy. This is not up for discussion." My father frowned. His features softened. "I'm really excited about this girls and I'd love it if you guys showed a bit of enthusiasm. I know Dallas is nothing like here, and we'll need to adapt to the American culture but, this is a new beginning. Katy, you're going off to university in September and April, you're starting high school." He paused unsure where he was going with all this.

He's right. It's going to be good for the family to just start from scratch in a city where no one knows our story. I'm not going to make this easy on them though. I'll definitely put up a fight. Plus, I heard they have a killer professional hockey team so I could definitely enjoy going to some games from time to time.

"Dad, I think it's going to be fun." I smiled and rested my hand over his. Okay i'm a daddy's girl, sue me. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A\N: Heyo, new story!! so as always I'll try to post the chapters as quickly as possible at least once or twice a week.