Predicament

“You shouldn’t be here,” she said patently, her movement unchanging as she continued to teeter over the edge, the wind intertwining her ankles as her dress wrapped itself around the breeze.  

            “Neither should you,” I gasped, my voice shaking as I watcher her rock her heels over and back on the cliff. Each time she rocked, my heart beat into my stomach, making my chest lurch. “This is dangerous. So dangerous. You’ve got to get down.”

            “But I don’t want to,” she defied, whipping her hair back. As she did so, the wreath of flowers that had been nestled on the crown of her head and entwined in the tangles of her locks loosened themselves from the strands of her hair and blew into me. I grasped it against my chest and approached her, despite my stomach’s objections.

            “Please, you’ll fall. I don’t want you to fall.”

            “Why not?” the girl snapped, her pink lips twitching into a snarl. The stress and the wind blew tears into my eyes.

            “You shouldn’t be doing this! You’ll get killed!” I explained hysterically.

            “So? You’ve done it before,” she sneered. My throat closed.

            “How did you-?” my questioning was cut short as she inched closer to the edge. “No! Stop!”

            “Why do you even care?” she snapped again, “You don’t know me!” This girl couldn’t have been older than seven, and yet she spoke like an aged cynic. Tears pooled into the creases of the sides of my mouth as my closed throat grew sore.

            “Does it matter? You’re a human being!” I screamed, reaching out to her. She pulled away from my grasp and a smirk brushed her lips.

            “Am I?” she questioned. Her words, like an icy wind, hardened my muscles and tightened my jaw to the point where speaking was unfeasible. Our eyes stayed locked until the sudden movement of the heels and balls of her feet sent her into a spinning movement that broke her gaze away. After several twirls, she ceased her spinning and bent down with a curtsy. The earth crumbled, my screams reverberated, and she smiled. My scream sang until my vocals scorched, but that fire did little to stop me from reaching for her aid. But no matter haw much I protested, I could do little but watch that fragile body fall.