As If You Could Stop Me

So here is the first chapter of As If You Could Stop Me. I'd really love some feedback so please, comment as much as you can. Any inprovments? Likes? Dislikes? I don't mind. Please, tell me what you think :)

Candyfloss21 x

Perhaps this was a bad idea, I thought to myself. I haven’t been here in years, will they even recognise me?

I shook my head. The last time I was here my hair had been straight and golden; but when I left it had become curly, wavy and brown. I wasn’t sure why, but I was glad it had changed. Though as I looked at the green door that was both familiar and new I wished it were the same. Now the likelihood of anyone knowing who I was seemed low.

I shouldn’t have come here, I told myself. It isn’t fair on them.

I turned to leave, cool stones leaking over my worn red sandals. I ran a hand through my hair absently as I tried to fight back tears. It was hard to walk away from the people I love when they were so close; but it was something I had to do. I began to run, and that's when I heard it.

“Emmeline?” The voice wasn’t much louder than a croak but somehow I heard it. I stopped dead in my tracks but didn’t turn. “Emilie?” I knew that voice. It was a sound I had pushed to the back of my mind because the memory hurt too much. Only one person called me Emmeline...

“Jonny.” I whispered, my feet turning at their own accord so I could meet the gaze of my brother.

He was different. His hair was longer and like mine, a shade or two darker. His green eyes were dull and tired. And he was taller, a lot taller than me now.

I saw a woman appear behind him and she looked so worn I just had to turn away.

“Emilie!” I looked back to see my brother running at me and I knew instantly I could not outrun him. He was always the faster twin.

When he reached me he all but knocked me to the ground as he pulled me into a rib cracking hug.

Home, I thought as I stood in his embrace.

He pulled back and grinned though I only managed a small smile back. Then, without warning, his face turned angry as he smacked me over the head.

“Where have you been Emilie?” It was less of a question and more of a demand. He wanted answers. Answers I wasn’t ready to give. “Huh?” I shook my head.

“Here and there, Jonny,” I said, my voice catching on tears. “Here and there.” He scowled down at me and I felt a wave of both happiness and guilt. I had missed him so much.

“Three years, Emmeline,” He whispered. “Three years I waited for you to come home.” I smiled sadly.

“And here I am.” I said with a small hint of sarcasm. He pulled me back into a hug and this time I returned it. “I missed you Jonny.” I whispered. “I_”

“Emilie?” I looked up.

“Ma.” She smiled and all at once, I knew coming home was right.

____________________________________________________________

My eyes opened lazily as I roll my head to the side. It had been a week since that day and I still dreamed about it each night. Everyone was so mad and yet at the same time, so happy. I never thought I'd feel like that again.

After my dad got home we'd talked about things to some existent. I still wasn't ready to explore the reasons as to why I'd run away, leaving only a note on my brothers night stand. I'm sorry, it read and to be honest, I really was.

My time away from home had made me so much stronger and yet at the same time, so much more fragile.

But I wont think about that now, I thought as I pushed myself out of bed; a king sized bed that seemed too big for me now. After living on what I made myself having luxuries like that seemed stupid; to easy almost. Though my mum was having none of my 'nonsense' about not needing all of this.

I laughed lightly as my alarm went of. Even as a child I'd wake a couple of minutes before it; though today I was slightly less enthusiastic. 

School. That was my eight o'clock destination. A destination that I hadn't been to in a long time. Was I looking forward to it? Hell no, but I'd be with my brother and that was all I could ask for.

The first three days we'd stuck together like glue. By the forth day we were sick of each other and after my mum shouted at us for bickering we had ignored each other. We'd both said some things that we shouldn't have and by now I was ready to forgive and forget.

What I wasn't expecting was for him to make the first move.So as I set out jogging that morning I was surprised when he fell in besides me, keeping pace easily. It was silent and just a little bit awkward, but eventually the mood calmed.

"Why do you run so bloody fast?" I looked at him with a grin as I sped up a little. He frowned but kept up.

"You're just unfit. I'm not going that fast." I said simply and he shook his head.

"You practically sprinting, what are you running from?" I stopped abruptly and it took him a moment to realize. What was I running from? I closed my eyes against the memories.

Too many things, I thought.

"I'm just jogging," I said. "It's not my fault you are too fat to keep up." I smiled but he didn't look convinced."I'm sorry." The words escaped before I could stop them. "You just got to me." He shook his head.

"Where were you, Emilie?" I looked away but he pulled my face back to look at him. "What happened?"

"Nothing for you to know; how many times do I have to tell you?" His jaw clenched and I frowned pulling away from his hand. "Forget it, Jonny. It's not important. I went traveling, made some friends, hung out_"

"And forgot about us?" My frown deepened as I met his stare with one of my own.

"If you think that then you are obviously not my brother." I said and started to walk the now familiar route my morning jogs followed.

"Well my sister wouldn't have left her mother to cry herself to sleep each night!" He yelled and I froze.

"You don't know what you are talking about, Jonathon." I whispered as I fought back tears. "Bye." I ran.

Whats do you think? Too much, too little???

Please comment. Thanks x

love <3