Chapter Four: A New And Old Friends

Chapter 4. Okay, I hope you guys like it.

I kissed him back openly. I had always had feelings for Sam, and now he’s the only one I have to turn to, this situation seemed inevitable. When he pulled away, our breathing was labored. He leaned his forehead against mine.

“Sorry” his cheeks burned red.

I smiled and looked up at him “I’ve been waiting for that for a while”

He gave me a smile and looked down at my wrist “Let me see”

I held up my arms and he un-wrapped the bandage gingerly from my wrist. He took in a sharp intake of air as he saw the red wound. “How bad is it?” I asked.

“I guess it could be worse” he shrugged, still concerned. I bit my lip and thought on whether to ask the question that was on the tip of my tongue.

“How are yours?”

He bit his lip then looked at me “They’re healing pretty good” he held up his arm to reveal thick dark scars and dark red, still healing wounds.

“You need to promise me too” I looked back and forth between his wrist and eyes.

“We’ll get through it together” he smiled lightly.

“Okay” I leaned against him closing my eyes.

We sat there for several minutes, in peace. His soft breathing is what comforted me the most. I could’ve stayed like this forever. This was the most calm I had ever seen Sam. Usually he was on edge about school and work and his parents. But right now, he was steady, calm, and happy. Until the garage door opened. My eyes shot open and we climbed up from the ground. I was going to run out the door just before his mom walked in.

Her ratty chocolate colored hair clung to her oily skin. She had large bags under her eyes, and she had the widest smirk on her face ever. She lifted a cigarette to her mouth, the red flame casting a glow on her long thin fingers. She blew smoke into my face, burning my eyes.

“Who the hell said you could have company over?”

“She was just visiting” Sam defended.

She snorted in disgust and took another drag before speaking again “I told you I don’t want you hanging out with her”

“Mom” Sam replied quickly “She needed help and I said she could come over real quick and talk”

“And who gives you that authority?” she almost screamed.

“I was trying to be a good friend” he snapped.

“Mrs. Mabbit, please it was my fault. I invited myself in” I tried to help, and I looked back at Sam, his eyes pleading me to go.

“Then I suggest you invite yourself out” she sneered, advancing towards Sam.

I walked backwards slowly as his mom began to yell at him. “Who the fuck do you think you are inviting her here and then mouthing back?” I began to walk out the door.

“Mom, I’m sorry-” he started, his words cut off by a blood curdling scream.

“Sam!” I cried out, turning around.

“Scar go!” He cried out.

“Sam I can’t just leave you!” I cried back.

“Get the hell out of here!” he screamed. His mom then grabbed him by the nape of the neck and threw him into the wall. “Go Scar!”

I ran out the door and slammed it shut behind me. I gasped for breath and clasped my hand over my mouth. His screams echoed throughout the house and through the door. I couldn’t go back in; there was nothing I could do. I began to walk home, the wind now ripping at my hair. Goosebumps traveled up and down my bare legs and arms. The gash on my leg now burning.