Chapter Four

Kayla Ward was holding her letter—the letter that almost killed her—while walking home. Should I open it? Kayla was thinking hard if it is safe to open it. Kayla thought it was really strange that all four of them got similar letters that day.

          She reached her house. She walked to the front door and just stood there. Thinking hard, she stared at her letter then opened it.

                   Someone will be in your house. Trust her.

          She then stared at the front of the door. Kayla hesitates if she should open it. Thinking that she had no choice, she slowly opens the door. She saw her mom sitting at the couch and besides her sitting on a chair, was a girl. The girl was the same age as Kayla, with blonde hair and bright blue eyes. But the moment Kayla was eye to eye with the girl, the girl’s eyes turned bright silver for a second then returned to blue. To hide her shock, she just smiled at the girl.

          “Oh, there you are Kayla.” Her mom said.

          “Yeah.” Kayla said, still staring at the girl. Her mom noticed this. “Oh! Right! Kayla, this is Chant.” Her mom said pointing at the girl. The girl nodded to Kayla. Kayla nodded back.

          “Chant said she was your friend at your school?” her mom asked. Kayla did not answer. She did not know this girl. But remembering the letter said…

          “Oh! Yeah! She’s my friend.” Kayla said. Kayla is not sure if she should trust her just like the letter said. But her curiosity beats her into it. She really wants to know what is going on. “So… Chant. Why don’t you and I go to my room to talk.” Chant nodded.

          They went upstairs to Kayla’s room. They entered the room and sat at Kayla’s bed.

          “So… Did you send me this letter?” Kayla showed her letter in front of Chant.

          “First of all, my real name is not ‘Chant’.”

          “Then, what’s your real name?” Kayla asked.

          Chant smiled at her. “You find out.”

          Kayla just looked at her, confused on what the girl just said.

          “For now, just call me Chant.” The girl said.

          Kayla just nodded.

          “So, are you okay?” Chant said.

          “I’m fine. Why?” Kayla said.

          “I thought you were hurt. You almost got hit by a car.”

          “You saw the accident?”

          “Yes. In fact, I saved you from that accident.”

          Kayla couldn’t believe what Chant said. She never thought someone had saved her. She thought the car just stop, just before it can hit her.

          “I thought the car just stopped. How did you save me?” Kayla asked.

          “I will tell you the answer and a lot more if you will come to tomorrow with me.” Chant said.

          Kayla didn’t know how to respond to that. “Look, I don’t think I can come. I don’t even know you.”

          “You need to trust me. You have an important role on what’s happening.” Chant said.

          “What do you mean?” Kayla asked, getting scared by the second.

          “Something bad will happen. You need to come.” Chant said looking very serious.

          Kayla thought about saying no. But she remembered that this girl saved her. The least she can do is to repay her by giving her trust.

          “Okay. I’ll go.” Kayla said.

          Chant smiled. “Right. Here’s my address.” Chant gives Kayla a piece of paper. Kayla looked at it.

          “Oh. You’re from San Francisco?” Kayla asked.

          “Yup. Go to that address, and then, will talk.” Chant said.

          Kayla nodded. Chant stood up and went to the door. Chant looked at Kayla.

          “When in doubt, follow your heart.”

          Kayla nodded again.

          Chant opened the door then go on her way.