Scarlet

SCARLET loaded her gun and stuck it in its holster.

They were going to do it, they were actually going to do it. These were Levana's last moments, her treachery was about to end.

Thorne was trying to brighten all of their spirits. He kept playing the same, centuries old song. Something by the Beetles or whatever. He seems happy, probably because he was staying in the ship with Cress and the three guards as backup.

"You say you want a revolution, well you know -"

"Would you shut that off?" Scarlet asked, glaring at Thorne. He gave her a completely fake poker face.

"But this is true music, this is the heart and soul of the American Republic."

"No, it's très stupide."

"Sorry." He waved her away. "I don't speak French."

Cinder was tweaking her hand and refilling its projectiles across the room. She spoke up. "Weren't they British? The Beatles?"

Thorne didn't say anything.

Cinder smirked. "Okay Scarlet, Wolf, let's get going."

Wolf, looking stoic and reserved as always, stood up from leaning against the wall. Cinder and Pearl led the way out to the cockpit door, and Scarlet trailed Wolf.

The hallway was just as white and unblemished as always. Windows were placed at intervals, where the infinite black of space could be seen.

Scarlet had been in space much too long. She yearned for the open spaces of her farm, the wide blue sky she always harvested corn under. Her heart ached when she realized she could never share that experience with her grandmother again.

As Cinder and Pearl disappeared around the corner, Wolf suddenly stopped walking, and Scarlet almost ran into him.

He turned around, his eyes wild.

"You can't come, Scarlet."

She was silent for a moment as Wolf stared at her, looking desperate.

"What did you just say?"

"You can't come, you just can't, Scarlet."

Scarlet frowned. She jammed a finger into his chest. He flinched back. "Listen here, buster. I'm gonna make this nice and clear. I was trapped on Luna with nothing for company but a crazed girl and her wolf pet and all I have to show for it is a missing pinky finger. If you think that I'm just going to stand by -"

"I can't lose you again!" Wolf grasped her arms tight, stopping her. She saw tears in his eyes. "I - I just can't."

Scarlet said nothing for a moment, then he smiled sadly. "Wolf ..." She trailed her hands down Wolf's arms until he released her's. She laced her fingers through his.

"I have to do this," she said simply, gazing into his brilliantly green eyes. "For my grand-mère ... for you ... for everyone."

"But ... but what if -"

"If we fall," she said, "we fall together." She gave him a soft kiss, then pulled away, walking down the hall. "Come on, let's finish this."