Chapter 1: "I Wish I Could Just Disappear"

Tesla--June 11th, 2011

"I don't know, Tesla. He's been looking at you all night... I'm pretty sure he's into you." My best friend since birth, Loanne, glanced at me before looking back to the blonde who'd practically been staring at me all night. He was cute. You know, the whole blonde-hair, green eyes deal. Think Jesse McCartney now with his old hair. I just couldn't believe a guy like him would be checking out a girl like me. I mean, I've been told I'm hot and everything, but I just don't see it. Not to mention, I've become a loner with one friend and no boyfriend  practically overnight.

"Maybe. But he's gotta come over here. I'm not going to embarass myself by going over there and introducing myself or anything. I mean, how do we know that isn't his plan? Basically everyone is out to get me these days." I picked up my soda and took a sip. I glanced to my right, three tables over. He was still looking at me. Behind him, I noticed a black figure stumble closer to the arcade tent. My brother. Great. He was either high or drunk again, which meant I had to deal with him before mom or dad found him.

I stood from my seat and looked at Loanne. She looked confused.

"Travis." I said and pointed to my brother. She rolled her eyes and nodded, downing the last of her milkshake. I tossed my cup in the trash and and started over to the tent.

"Travis! Come here!" I grabbed his shoulder and spun him around. His eyes were bloodshot and he was holding a beer.

"Tesla! Go away... I'm with Gary..." He turned his back to me and began talking to air. "Sisters... You're a nice dragon... Tell me, Gary, do you burn yourself when you breathe fire?" Slurring and hallucinating... The bastard was drunk and high!

"Travis! This isn't funny! You're gonna get mom and dad to fight again!" I was pissed off now. I spun my brother around once again and smacked him across the face. He immediately snapped out of it.

"Hey! Not cool, man!" Good, he was back.

"Come on, you're sitting with me and Loanne. We can't have you like this right now. Get rid of that can." I grabbed his arm and began to pull him away, taking the beer with my other hand and throwing it over and behind the tent.

As I turned around, I bumped into someone, and as I looked up, I noticed a pair of green eyes. Stare-at-me boy. I realized now that he was about six inches taller than me.

"Hi," he said, looking down on me, "is everything okay here?" Man, his voice was deep.

"Yep. Just dealing wih my brother." I said, and backed out of his 'personal bubble'.

"More like I'm dealing with you." Travis mumbled under his breath, "Freaking buzz-kill..."

"Shut up. Do you want mom and dad to start fighting again?" I spoke under my breath. I swear, I was either going to cry, scream, or slap him again. Or a mixture of the three.

"Dude, be nice to your sister. She's just helping you out." His deep voice was low as he said it.

"Thank you." I mumble and force a smile, "Tesla Sullivan." I stuck out my hand.

"Mitch St. Claire." He shook my left hand with his own, seeing as my right was occupied with holding my brother's arm.

"Right... You go here?" I began walking towards Loanne, who was still stting at our table. She was pretty much in the same position, just with her head down, face in her crossed arms.

"Nah. I'm homeschooled. I just came for something to do on a friday night." he nodded and squinted his eyes. Wow, he had pretty eyes. I noticed now that they had a blend of gold around the pupil. He flipped his head to the side and his hair moved out of his face. Of course, Loanne had chosen this time to look up. She noticed Mitch and her eyebrows went up. She smirked. "How about you?"

"Oh, uhm, I go here. I'm gonna be a senior next year." We were at my table now and I sat down, taking Travis with me. He came down hard, with a thump, and swore.

"Ah, me too. I mean, I would be a senior. I'm seventeen." He laughed and pulled out an old, beat-up prepaid flip phone. He looked at the screen and grimaced.

"Bad news?" I raised my eyebrows and rested my cheek on my right hand.

"No. It's nothing." He looked straight ahead before turning to me, ride lights sparkling behind him. "Wanna go on the Round-Up?" He smiled.

"Uh, sure." I stood from the table with him.

"Hey,Tes, I gotta go home. See you tomorrow?" Loanne was up and stuffing her phone in her back pocket.

"Alright. Hey, drive this one home please? I can't let him stay." I pointed at Travis.

"Alright. Come on, stupid." Loanne grabbed his arm and began to pull him towards the parking lot.

"I'm not stupid! And let go of me!" Travis ripped his arm from her grip and scowled.

"You're a druggee and alcoholic. Stupid in my book." Loanne pushed him from behind.

"You're just jealous 'cause I know where to find the stuff and you don't." he smirked and started walking ahead of her.

"Not even close, Travis." she rolled her eyes and lagged behind, turning once to wave to me.

"Well, shall we?" Mitch chuckled and held out his arm as if to escort me.

"We shall." I wrapped my arm around his and skipped along.

Six rides and four games later, the carnival's closing and I can't find my mom or dad. I'm grounded from driving, so I don't have my car either.

"How'd you get grounded?" Mitch and I are walking to his car. He said he'd give me a ride.

"I, well, nothing, really." I looked up at him, squinting, lips in a line.

"Surely you did something to get grounded. Unless your parents are cruel, ruthless villians." We laughed and he looked at me seriously.

"No, really. I was covering for my brother 'cause I didn't want my parents to fight and, well, they found the pack of cigarettes I had taken from him. They thought they were mine." I frown and look at my pink converse, concentrating on my walk. Left foot forward, right foot forward, left foot, right foot, left, right, left. "I wish I could just disappear."

"Well your about to..." he mumbled under his breath/

"I'm sorry?..." I ask and look confused.

"Nothing." Mitch clicks a button on the car remote and a brand new silver Nissan Z's headlighs flash two cars away.

"No...freaking...way." I scanned the car, nose to trunk, and ran my hand along the side, feeling the soft, dirtless paint, "Wait, this is the 2012 version! How the hell'd you get this?" He laughs and runs his hand over the top of the car.

"I know people." He looks at me, grinning and laughs when he see's my expression, "This is great. You're smiling adoringly at my car." I blush. He looks up at the sky and closes his eyes, "Lord, thank you for giving me the perfect girl. She loves cars and, better yet, knows them." We both burst out laughing before getting in and buckling up.

"Don't screw up, Mitch... Don't screw up..." he says under his breath.