Chapter Five

She stepped onto the bus, clutching her bag. The bus driver gave her a toothy grin as if he knew her; he probably did. In an effort to save, she'd sold her car three months ago and regularly used public transport. The money from the sale had covered her last two months' rent.

After giving the bus driver the exact fare, she sank into her seat.

She opened her bag and took out the book she'd found in Ben's jacket. After she'd gone through his stuff, she'd packed it into her bag. She just wanted to give it another look. He would never know. She'd return it when she came back to him.

Flipping the book open, she found again the sharp handwriting and tried to decipher the apparently Spanish words, interrupted by small but beautiful doodles of flowers. Ben had a knack at drawing, but the sketches had such a girlish slant to it that it made her uncomfortable.

She stored the book away in her bag, mindful not to bend any pages.

Stop after stop, she drew closer, then exited the bus.

The five-star hotel rose in front of her like a shining beacon against the dark sky. With any luck, her homemade miniature cupcakes would soon rest beautifully wrapped on top of Egyptian cotton sheet pillows. With any luck, she'd snatch the contract to be one of the suppliers to deliver goods to Mr. Fuentes' hotels all over the world.

If not, well, she'd rather not think about it.

Perfumed air enveloped her as she walked into the huge lobby, her heels sinking deeply into an oriental carpet. Before she could ask for directions, she spotted the event signage.

The entrepreneur meeting was set to start at seven sharp inside conference rooms next to the hotel bar, where she, as the invitation had spelled out, could enjoy a complimentary glass of champagne.

More than half an hour late, she quickly followed the signage leading away from the main entrance, heels now efficiently clicking over hardwood floors.

According to the schedule, she'd missed the introduction. But the important part was her eight o'clock appointment.

The membership for Entrepreneur Today was hefty, but tonight would make it all worth it. She'd spent three weeks preparing her business model.

When she'd been selected as one of the few to speak with Mr. Fuentes, after paying a fortune for the opportunity, she spent an entire week basking in hope and plans.

If only she could snatch the contract, if only... Her bank would extend her credit and she could stay and invest more in her endeavor to slowly take over the world with her cupcakes.

"Liz Walker," she said, stopping in front of the reception, crossing her fingers no one would ask her for the actual printed-out invitation.

"Glad you could make it, Ms. Walker," replied the woman behind the desk, wearing oversized earrings that seemed out of place next to her sensible pantsuit, and handed her a nametag. "You're next on my list for the chat with Mr. Fuentes."

She sauntered through the room, ignoring the steaming food at the buffet, and kept her gaze locked on the meeting room. Inside, a small-shouldered man dressed in an immaculate pinstriped suit held court, and even though he wasn't a large man, his narrow face and his gray eyes behind rimmed glasses showed sharp intelligence and a certain strength.

He was shaking the hand of another entrepreneur who had his hopes in his hands, and then, finally, it was her time.

When she walked into the room, he rose to shake her hand.

"I've been looking forward to meeting you, Ms. Walker," he said by way of greeting.

"Liz, please," she replied, shaking his hand.

A Stranger's Touch  --  Wattys2015जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें