Chapter One

A Stranger's Touch
Copyright © 2015 by Andi Madden

All rights reserved. This book or any portion thereof may not be reproduced or used in any manner whatsoever without the express written permission of the publisher except for the use of brief quotations in a book review.

­­­­­­­­Chapter One

When Liz arrived inside the dimly lit movie theater's lobby, dressed in comfy pants and a baggy sweater, she was cheerfully met by her two girlfriends—and their two husbands.

Two couples—so much for just us girls.

She had forced a smile, but a feeling of annoyance lingered.

Then—holding six movie tickets in his hand—another guy stepped to the uneven numbered group and made it an even one.

So, it was one of those evenings out.

It wasn't the first time her well-wishing friends tried to fix her up, so her surprise lasted only seconds.

Then Liz took another look at him, met his dark gaze and her throat went dry.

"Ben," Jenna, best friend and traitor, chirped, "I'd like you to meet Liz. She runs her own bakery!"

His handshake was firm, warm, pleasant. "Nice to meet you, Liz."

"I make cupcakes," she blurted, because she somehow had expected he would ask what kind of bakery.

His eyebrows rose, his mouth twisting to a smile, and he still held her hand. "Really," he said, and then he cocked his head to the side, giving her a quick once-over that had her cheeks burning. "Maybe you can tell me more after the movie?" A quick squeeze of his hand and he let go to turn to Jenna's husband.

Jenna placed a hand on her shoulder and leaned in. "Ben just moved here," she said, not whispering, but she kept her voice quiet. "He's an old college buddy of Michael's, never met him before. But he's cute, isn't he?"

She made a noncommittal sound. Cute wasn't the word she'd have used to wrap up her first impression. That she'd felt a spark passing between them when he looked at her still left her befuddled. "Why did he move here?"

"He said he accepted a job offer downtown, journalist."

"Jenna," she said quietly, "I just want to watch the movie tonight. I mean, look at me." She tugged at her old sweater. "I wish you had given me a word of warning."

"You look great," Jenna said, looping her arm through hers. "And it will be fun watching the movie together."

In the already-darkened cinema, the opening credits were running over the screen.

Liz sank into the red upholstered chair, sucked in her breath, but not because Ben took the seat next to hers.

Digging her fingers into the plush armrests, she leaned forward, trying to catch Jenna's gaze two seats to her right.

"What the hell, Jenna!" she asked, and was instantly shushed by dozens of people.

"Sorry," Jenna mouthed, and had the grace to look it. "The guys weren't up for romcom. But Dawn of the Zombies is already considered to be a classic."

Ben also leaned forward, catching her gaze. She nearly jumped out of her skin when he wrapped his hand in a supposedly calming manner around her wrist.

"Sorry, I thought everyone had agreed to the movie choice. Didn't you see the title on the ticket I gave you?"

She snorted, not bothering to dig out the ticket from her back pocket. "No, I didn't because—"