IV

▬▬▬▬

▬▬▬▬

Blinking in the darkness, unable to focus, I looked up at the sky.

The midnight blue sky unfolded above me, vast and close, as if it were a canopy just beyond my reach. I quickly climbed to my feet and looked around, my eyes adjusting to the light and open field surrounding me.

The moonlight was fading, creating shadows and dark spots all around. The wind echoed through tree hollows and fallen trunks. Yellow eyes glimmered through rustling bushes and flowers. Crickets chirped beneath the damp grass like a lullaby. And the stars—oh, the stars. They were like diamonds painted over the horizon. It felt relaxing, almost unreal. A beautiful April night with no humidity and the sweet aroma of spring flowers in the air.

Wait.

Where am I?

A sense of panic began to claw at my skin as I glanced over my shoulder.

There he was, the man from before, slumped against the trunk of a fallen oak, his hands resting idly on his lap. My mind froze, and the serenity of my surroundings seemed to tighten around me like a vise. I was left anchored in place, unable to move.

Is this dream still unfolding? For fucks' sake, I need to wake up.

His mind appeared to be miles away, lost in thoughts, oblivious to my stare. I wondered what he was thinking about. I wondered why he brought me here. I wondered, truly, what the fuck was going on.

As if sensing my presence, he suddenly looked up at me, his lips curving into that same wicked, sleazy grin that I remembered all too well from my bedroom the night before. "Don't look too scared," he said, the moonlight casting shadows over his features, making them appear even more sinister. "We wouldn't want another storm to brew, now would we?"

I stared at him, bewildered. Almost hesitant to ask again what was going on, who he was, feeling like a broken record stuck on the same track. My throat felt parched, and my head pounded with the aftermath of tears and confusion. There seemed nowhere to run, nowhere to hide, trapped in an open space yet feeling utterly cornered. Why couldn't I wake up from this nightmare?

"Where are we?" I managed to croak out.

"A special place," he replied, his voice softening. He gestured to the space in front of us. "I wanted to take you somewhere where we could be alone, somewhere only our ears could catch the words spoken. I thought clearing the school would silence the chaos in your mind; you've always seemed burdened by it. But it appears I've only made things worse. So, here we are, in serenity."

A wind swept through, jarring my already frayed nerves. Serenity? How could he talk about serenity when I had just witnessed the people I passed by and spoke with every day being mercilessly crushed in a burning building that—