Pig and Dog

Pig woke up one morning and decided to go for a walk.

“Today is a good day for a walk,” he said, “I think I will stretch my legs.”

Pig began his walk at the park; it was very nice outside.

“Look at the trees,” he said, “they are very pretty. Look at the flowers, they are pretty too.”

While Pig was walking, he saw Dog in the park. He was holding a list and looked very confused.

“What’s wrong Dog?” asked Pig.

“Well,” he began, “I’m throwing a party for our friend Owl’s birthday, but I don’t have enough time to go to store and pick up the cake!”

“I could get the cake for you Dog,” offered Pig, “I have nothing else to do today.”

“Great,” Dog yelled, “thank you!” Dog handed Pig the piece of paper he would need to pick up the cake and ran off. Pig turned around and headed towards the cake shop. When he got there, a some animals had started a game of toss the pinecone. They looked like they were having fun, and Pig joined in the game. After a few hours Pig had gotten tired and decided to rest.

“Pig!” yelled Dog, “I asked you to get the cake! Where is it? It is almost time for the party to begin!”

Pig was very sleepy. He woke up and gave the slip of paper to Dog. Dog was angry, but went to go pick up the cake himself. Pig was still sleepy, so he went back to bed in the dirt. When he woke up, everyone had already gone to Owl’s birthday party! Pig scurried as fast as he could to get to Owl’s tree house.

When Pig got there, everyone was already having a fun time without him. Pig stood alone and was very sad. Dog walked up to him.

“Hello Pig,” said Dog.

“Hello Dog,” replied Pig, “This is a nice party.”

“Thank you Pig, “ Dog said, “I would have woken you to go, but you must have been very tired to forget the cake, so I let you sleep.”

“Oh, “ replied Pig sadly, “yes I was, thank you Dog, I am sorry. Is there anything I can do to make it up?”

“Well, we are almost out of juice,” suggested Dog, “I was about to go get some more. If you were to go get it for me, I would be very grateful.”

“Yes Dog,” replied Pig excitedly, “I will do that right now!” Pig waddled away from the party to go get more juice. Along the way he met his friend Sloth hanging in a tree. Sloth was eating some apples hanging from the tree.

“Good day Sloth,” Pig greeted as he hurried past.

“Hello Pig, what are you doing that needs you to run so fast?” asked Sloth.

Pig stopped to explain, “I am getting juice for Owl’s party.”

“Oh I see,” said Sloth, “All that running must make you tired. Why not sit down and have an apple with me? It will be just a short break.”

Pig considered it. Dog did say they were ALMOST out of juice; surely he would have time before they actually ran out.

“Ok Sloth, thank you for your offer,” Pig agreed. Pig munched on an apple, they were the best he had ever tasted! Pig liked them so much; he had to have more. Soon Pig had had so many, he was ready to burst! Pig’s full stomach made him sleepy again. Pig fell asleep.

When Pig woke up, Sloth was gone. Oh no! Pig forgot the juice! Pig ran to the store, but it was now too late. The store was closed. Pig was very sad, and walked back to Owl’s party, which was now almost over.

“Hello Dog,” He said when he found him, “I could not get the juice.”

“We have run out of juice!” Dog was upset, “Why couldn’t you get the juice?”

“I fell asleep,” mumbled Pig.

“Oh Pig,” Dog moaned, “If you are so tired, maybe you should not be here. You should go home Pig.”

Pig went home, but no matter how much he tried, he could not fall asleep. He had already slept too much today.