Chapter Eleven

Later that evening Laura was lying on the couch watching old reruns of 'The Nanny' and thinking about Ronan and Penelope. Ronan had called her earlier to let her know that he and Penelope were home and that her doctor had said it was just a virus and she needed to rest.

Laura listened to the clock ticking on the wall and turned the television off. She jumped off of the couch, pulled on her shoes, grabbed her purse and ran out the door.

888

"I don't feel good, daddy." Penelope whined as she snuggled against him on the couch. Ronan kissed her dark hair and nodded.

"I know, sweetpea." he replied. It was times like these when he missed Amelia the most. She had always been the one that took care of Penelope when she was sick. She had always had that magic 'mommy' touch that Ronan lacked.

A knock came at the door and Ronan grumbled with irritation as he rose from the couch and walked into the kitchen to answer it. He opened the door and his eyes widened when he saw Laura standing there with shopping bags in her hands.

"What are you doing here?" he asked as he took the bags from her. Laura smiled and pushed a stray strand of hair behind her ear.

"I brought some things for, Penny." she replied. Ronan frowned.

"You didn't have to do that." he said. Laura rolled her eyes and laid her hand on his cheek.

"Sure I did. Now can I come in?" Ronan couldn't believe she had shown up. She did realize just how unexciting taking care of a sick kid was didn't she?

"Set those bags on the counter." Laura said sliding past him and into the house. Ronan did as she told him and Penelope walked into the kitchen.

"Laura!" she yelled happily and threw her arms around Laura's waist. Laura smiled and patted her hair.

"Hi Penny." she said. "I brought you some things to help you feel better." Penelope looked at the shopping bags and began jumping up and down in excitement.

"What did you get me?" she asked. Ronan wanted to tell Penelope to mind her manners but for the first time all day she was smiling and happy and he wasn't about to do anything to make her upset.

"Okay, we have popsicles." Laura said holding them up. Ronan took them from her and put them in the freezer after taking a green one from the box and handing it to Penelope. "Movies about all of the most important princesses…" Laura said holding up a handful of movies. "Popcorn of course. And some nail polish because I was hoping you could do my nails for me."

"Yay!" Penelope said hopping up and down. Ronan shook his head at her miraculous rate of healing now that Laura was here.

"Alright, sweetpea, you go on out to the couch and daddy will get us some popcorn popped." he said. Penelope grabbed the movies from Laura and ran into the living room to pick out the one that she wanted to watch. Laura was about to follow after her but Ronan grabbed her arm gently to stop her.

"Thanks." he said.

"For what?" she asked. Ronan leaned against the white counter with his arms crossed over his chest.

"For being so good with my daughter." he said. Laura smiled and leaned against the counter next to him.

"I like Penelope a lot." she said.

"She likes you too." Ronan replied. "Almost as much as I do." Laura bumped her shoulder up against him.

"Almost huh?" she asked softly. Ronan grabbed her arm and turned her so that the fronts of their bodies were pressed together.