Ski Lodge

"and so I must hand in my resignation."  Jane as she wrote this line wiped away the single tear that had dripped down along her cheek to have rested on her chin.  She had the need to leave this place she loved and called home.  She had not only worked there her whole life but lived there for ten years.  She already missed her friends and her dead husband.  Jared, a man of many talents, spirit and the need to have thrill in his life.  One day his talents and spirit were not enough to save him from his need for thrill.  He was skiing down the mountain when he went off the cliff edge in a jump but he was not able to make it.  Huh the memory is still so vivid, his limbs were sprawled out all over the place and the dead stare that still haunts my dreams.

When the news was brought to me of his accident I was sitting in the living room of the ski lodge.  The man had told me, my husband was dead and he handed to me, my husband’s wallet.  I opened the wallet and the first thing I saw was his ski pass and his smiling face staring at me full of life and joy.  He loved his job.  I closed his wallet and held it tightly against my shoulder as I cried into the other mans arms.

I placed my resignation in a thin white envelope and left it on the bedside table, next to my husband’s wallet which I always keep so close.  This is my last day here with my home, job and close friends I have come to love so much.  It is time to move on just as my husband had but I will never go skiing again.