Athenia's Choice: Chapter Two

Chapter Two

It was my choice to insist we got out the carriage on the outskirts of the bustling town. If my persuading skills hadn’t been so excellent, I would never have met Mr Charles Beaumont…

“Oh please Mrs Phillips, it will be easier to get out here.” I had pleaded.

“Athenia, I am amazed at how your legs can cope with walking so much!” Mrs Phillips sighed tiredly as she requested the coachman to halt the carriage. We stepped out into the glorious April sunshine and started walking along the street.

Everything was spotless and immaculate, obviously to impress the Queen. Leafy trees overlooked the quiet lanes we ambled through, whilst ahead dozens of carriages were making the roads congested.

“Fie, you really think you’re going to speak to Her Majesty?” Mrs Phillips chuckled, looking down her nose at me. Anger brewed inside me. She always treated me like a child.

“There’s no such thing as can’t,” I retorted cheekily, annoyance spilling out of me.

“Athenia- a perfect young lady does not answer back,” my tutor yelled as I quickly dashed off, for I knew I was going to be severely scolded. I was far from being ‘a perfect young lady’! I pushed frantically past a group of people. The next second I was lying on the floor in a soggy puddle, drenched from head to toe.

The door of the house I had fallen in front of opened hastily; the post-box green paintwork was shabby and peeling. The young man who emerged from the house looked shocked to see a young damsel lying there in a much undignified manner! A woman started screeching at me that I had torn her dress, and I realised that was what the ripping sound had been.

“Do you know how much this cost, you little vixen?” The woman-whose-dress-I’d-ripped hissed as she gave me a piece of her mind. Mrs Phillips then bustled over, groaning insults at me about my clumsiness. I felt like crying; everything was happening all at once. A thin but feisty-looking woman pushed past the young man.

“Sorry about that love! I told my Cordelia not to tip her washing water out the window,” she apologised in a strong country accent, “Well don’t just stand there you fool, help the young lady up, Charles!” My head was spinning – there were so many people around me at the same time!

The young man, who was presumably Charles, held out his hand, which I took. As our hands connected, a shiver went down my spine. I looked up slowly, having felt something flare up inside me. I stared into the shards of sky blue carved intricately into his face. Then my gaze turned to his lips, which were so kissable. I shook my head quickly; it was improper to have such thoughts.

“What about me?” the woman-whose-dress-I’d-ripped demanded, bringing me back to Earth, “You’ll pay for this you foolish idiot child- I’ll make sure of it.”

“I’m sure I can find something for you to wear, as well,” Charles’ mother (the thin, feisty woman) offered out of kindness. Charles’ grip on my arm was warm as I followed him into his house.

I was quite surprised by the drab décor and furnishings, because Charles himself was wearing a finely made suit with a velvet collar and a silk cravat. His mother, who introduced herself as Mrs Ida Beaumont, was wearing a dress bursting with gold, silver, and sapphire trimmings, which matched the clips in her pinned-up hair.

Mrs Beaumont's hand brushed against a sparse, rickety chair. Mrs Phillips was looking down at the dusty carpet and peering at the faded tapestries. Blushing furiously, Mrs Beaumont told us her husband was going through a hard time. The-woman-whose-dress-I’d-ripped sniffed as if she was disgusted. Even though I didn't know the family, I felt desperately sorry for them as these idiotic women were making scathing gestures about their home.

“Is there anything I can get you, miss?” Charles asked, giving a short bow to me. I felt dazed. My cheeks flushed as his charming periwinkle eyes gazed once again into mine. There was such intensity between us. Stop it, Athenia, stop thinking such things!

“Perhaps I could have some cordial?” I requested.

"Please.” Mrs Phillips added edgily behind me. I really wished she would keep quiet sometimes!

“Certainly, miss.” Charles smiled as a small-ish girl appeared on the stairs.

“Did someone just say my name?” the little girl wondered, her big brown eyes scanning the room like an eager puppy.

“No, the lady said cordial, not Cordelia!” Mrs Beaumont said exasperatedly, rolling her eyes. Mrs Phillips brushed down her chair before she sat on it; she was extremely fussy.

“Why are you so wet?” Cordelia questioned, looking up at me. This statement confused me because her straggly brown hair was dripping onto the faded carpet.

“It was your fault, Cordelia; you tipped the water out the window! Now make yourself scarce and dry your hair, you daft little dolly!” Mrs Beaumont bossed fondly.

Mrs Phillips then laughed: "Children." I thought that was quite rude of her seeing as she was always nagging me about my manners. I shot her a glare as Charles very kindly wrapped a blanket around me, for I was shivering slightly, and pressed the cordial into my hands. I felt a spark again; my heart beat faster.

“So what may we call you two fine ladies?” he asked.

"Mrs Thurrock,” replied the-woman-whose-dress-I’d-ripped grudgingly. Suddenly, I realised all eyes were on me.

My heart beat increased. What in holy heaven was I going to do? Could I trust the Beaumonts and Mrs Thurrock to keep quiet? I’d be found out anyway, so was there any point in lying? I didn’t really want to deceive them, or have an argument with Mrs Phillips, who snapped:

"Athenia, child, speak up.” Before any of them could comment on my unusual name, I fainted. Well, not really, but my acting skills must be quite convincing because they all set into a flap. Charles scooped me up in his arms. This was bliss - being carried by someone so charming was my seventh heaven!

I was laid to rest on a bed, which seemed terribly itchy. Charles didn’t leave my bedside, which I thought was very courteous of him. I decided to ‘awake’ a few minutes later, when Mrs Thurrock had gone and taken her grumbles about her fraying lent dress with her. She should have been grateful; Mrs Beaumont was lending her something out of the kindness of her heart. When my eyelids fluttered open, Charles kissed one of my slender hands.

“Thank the heavens you are alright, Miss Athenia!” he gasped, which was somewhat drastic, since I had been lying there trying not to laugh!

Whilst sipping elderflower cordial, Mrs Beaumont found a dress for me to wear.

"Have I missed Her Majesty?” I asked, fearfully.

“No love, the crowds will be brewing for at least another ten minutes before she progresses through,” Mrs Beaumont informed me, laying out the said gown, which was complete with a matching embroidered cloak. Let’s just say, it was very, very lacy and flimsy!

I got dressed, and Charles insisted he wait with me whilst I anticipated meeting the Queen. I profusely thanked Mrs Beaumont as I left her household. Mrs Phillips seemed unhappy that Charles Beaumont was fixing roses in my hair, and that as we were jostled by the crowd; our fingertips were brushing together...