The Question

unning from Danger

Demi Argeneau

Summary: Rose and Dimitri are in danger and in hiding. With Rose having the baby on Christmas it complicates things. Will the trio ever be safe? Will they continue to be hunted down?

It was a cold December night and I sat in a wooden rocking chair that was a gift from my mother-in-law. The fire was blazing in the fireplace; the room heated and smelled distinctly of cinnamon and spice. It reminded me of home when I was younger, more specifically it reminded me of my now deceased Grandmother. I closed my eyes and leaned further into the rocking chair, bringing my hand up to rub my stomach, I smiled when I felt a small nudge. My baby has been an active one recently. I continued rubbing my stomach and smiled each time I would feel a nudge or a kick. I stood up from my place by the fireplace and walked over to the Christmas tree, where my husband was sitting, putting presents under the tree. He looked up at me as I approached him. He gave me one of his breathtaking smiles.

"Roza," he said standing up from his spot at the tree; he walked over to me and pulled me in his arms. I smiled against his chest, inhaling the scent of his spicy aftershave. He pulled me tighter against his body, well as tight as he could with my present state.

"Dance with me," Dimitri said. He pulled back from me and grabbed my hands; he slowly spun me around, smiling as he did. I couldn't help the giggle that came out of me. He let me go for a few short seconds, grabbing the remote off the mantle of the fireplace he turned the radio on and played Christmas music. He walked back to me and we started dancing once more.

"I love you," I said to him. I closed my eyes; my head lied against his shoulders and basked in the comfort he gave me. We danced for a while more, lost in the comfort of the other. Once we finished our dancing we went to our room and changed into our clothes for the night. We than went back to the living room and sat on the couch side by side; we were snuggled in one another. I looked up at the clock waiting for it to be midnight, Christmas was almost upon us. Once the clock struck midnight we would be celebrating our first year as a married couple.

"Rose?" Dimitri questioned, seeing if I was still awake.

"Yes?" I moved where I was facing him, and locked eyes with his chocolate colored eyes.

"I can't wait for our baby to be born, wouldn't it be something if our baby was born on Christmas as well," he smiled at me resting his hand upon our baby. I brought my hands up covering his as I did so.

"Yes it would, but I really don't want our baby to be born on Christmas. Too much drama is going on around it."

Dimitri smiled at me and pulled me towards him into a passionate kiss. My arms wrapped around his neck and my hands were buried in his hair pulling him closer to me. Dimitri pulled away from the kiss and stood up, pulling me with him.

"Merry Christmas, Roza," he said, we walked over to our Christmas tree and sat down in front of it. Dimitri pulled me onto his lap. He grabbed a present from under the tree and read to whom it was for, "This one is for you."

I grabbed it from his outstretched hands and tore the wrapping off; in it was a pair of black knee high boots. I fell in love with them the moment I looked at them. I read the card to see whom it was from and smiled at the name. Lissa.

"Dimitri, I love these boots, they're just so adorable," I said admiring them in my outstretched hands.

Chuckling Dimitri answered me, "I know Rose, I can tell."

We both continued the early morning opening up presents and enjoying each other's company.

"Dimitri, I was thinking. When the baby is born I want to go visit Lissa and Christian. We haven't seen them since the wedding, ever since we've gone into hiding."

Dimitri tensed up behind me tightening his grip on me.

"No. Absolutely not. It's too dangerous for you and our baby."

"But Dimitri, please I want to."

"NO! It's too dangerous we will not argue about this," Dimitri stood up picking me up with him. He walked over to the couch and sat me down on it. He then walked out of the room leaving me on the couch.

Wow, what a way to start Christmas.