29. general deception

Another customer walked into work and I flinched, relaxing only when I could see that it wasn't a tall, skinny-jean clad boy but in fact a late-twenties man wearing a Metallica shirt.

"You're so jumpy today," Louis observed, attending to the customer a few moments later. Yes, I was a tad jumpy. I hadn't spoken to Luke since I walked out of his house yesterday and for some reason, I felt like maybe he was going to show up here and ambush me and my feelings again.

I was planning on going to see him when I finished work this afternoon. Not that the idea was exactly thrilling me. Do you know how sucky it is to have to swallow your pride and tell someone that you're sorry for over-reacting and by the way, I know you probably think I'm crazy now, but yeah I like you too.

See, even my thoughts were all jumpy. That's what I get for skipping breakfast in exchange for two Redbulls.

It wasn't so bad when the store was quiet, because Louis was filling me in on his baby-mama drama which gave me a break from thinking about my own mess. "I'm actually really buzzing now," he'd said earlier this morning, his thin lips pursed together in this cute sort of grin. "Can you imagine it? A little version of me."

I'd laughed, because I was imagining a baby wearing Converse and a band shirt. And you know what? I could really imagine it. Last week Louis and I spent a lot more time talking at work - instead of me ordering him around and him mumbling remarks underneath his stoned breath - and I'd discovered just how caring and sweet he was.

From how Louis explained everything to me, the situation between him and Briana wasn't the best. They hadn't been in a relationship or anything, it was simply a casual fling, and now they were preparing to raise a baby together. It was a lot for anyone to handle, especially someone as disconcerted as Louis usually was. He was really trying hard to turn his life around though and fight to be a part of the baby's life as well.

Just as I'd promised, Louis had been given more hours at work which was really great seeing as how Grunge was busy getting the boys ready for the tour. In fact, Louis was going to run the store all by himself on Saturday. I was taking the day off.

"And would you like to join our loyalty program?" Louis asked the late-twenties Metallica fan who'd just paid for three Metallica CDs. Grunge would have been proud. And I was proud too because I could tell Louis was taking on board everything I'd been saying. Like asking people to join our loyalty program, for example.

"Yeah, sure," he said. "Hey, uh, is that General Deception?" He pointed to the photo pinned on the wall behind us. It was an old black and white photo, showing a longer-haired and much younger Grunge on stage with his bandmates Wally and Travis. It was taken at General Deception's last gig. Boy, had I heard that story a lot.

"It is. The bassist, Grunge, owns this place."

Metallica Guy smiled, his mouth open in awe. "Man, they were sick. When I was seventeen I paid $200 bucks for a fake ID so I could get into one of their shows," he sighed for a moment, that kind of sigh when you're recalling a good memory. "Does he come by here much?"

"Sometimes," Louis answered.

"He's leaving on Friday," I explained. "The band he manages is starting their tour."

This seemed to spark Metallica Guy's attention. "Which band?"

"5 Seconds of Summer."

Judging by the blank look on his face, he had no idea who they were. I leaned across the counter and grabbed one of the new 5 Seconds of Summer EPs which the boys had rushed to record before the tour. It only had four songs: She's Kinda Hot, Permanent Vacation, Amnesia and a cover of Katy Perry's Teenage Dream.

I put the EP into the brown paper bag containing the Metallica CDs. "Consider it a gift," I smiled.

Not long after he left, a blonde girl walked in and Louis's face paled. Actually, the girl looked sort of pale herself in the black sweater she was wearing.

"Stella, give us a minute, yeah?" Louis's voice sounded strained and when I looked back to the girl I understood why. This was Briana.

"Oh, yeah, of course. I've got lots of important stuff to do out the back anyway, so," I started walking towards the back of the store, "Take all the time you need."

Once safely inside the small storeroom, I let out a deep exhale. I never thought I'd see the day when I'd actually feel sympathy for Louis, but here it was. Leaning against the wall, I took my phone out of my pocket and opened the message up. It was time for me to deal with my own mess. If Louis could do it, so could I. 

To Luke: Is it okay if I come by after work?

There was a tiny piece of me that was worried he would ignore my text. That he'd think I was too much trouble or just a downright lunatic. Fear distorts our sense of rationality like that.

But somewhere inside the part of my brain that wasn't in freak-out mode, I knew that Luke was a good, genuine guy and he wouldn't stop speaking to me over such a silly situation. Even if I might have bruised his ego a little bit.

And as it turns out, Rational Stella was right. Not long after I texted him and then Aunty Peg - to see if she'd had any baking fiascos today - Luke replied.

From Luke: see you soon x