Chapter 23

***Hey again! So I'm guessing I have about...three chapters left in Part 1? Sorry it took me so long to update this and I'm sorry it's not all that good. But I have a reason! My art exam is THIS WEDNESDAY. I AM GOING TO DIE :( I hope you enjoy it though! Happy reading!***

Azog sniffed the air, then narrowed his eyes at his prey. In the dim light, he could just make out the short figures lower down the mountain, accompanied by a slightly taller, grey shadow. From this distance, they looked no bigger than ants. Azog watched as they came to a stop among the trees dotting the area. The dwarves and the wizard stood still for a moment, before another figure suddenly appeared among them. Azog tilted his head to the side, just as surprised by the sudden presence as the dwarves seemed to be. Then he shook his head.

He couldn't hear what they were saying, but he didn't care. It was time.

***

Kili smiled as he listened to Bilbo talk. After losing his brother, it was good to see the hobbit again. For though he was no dwarf, Bilbo had grown on Kili, and he now considered him as part of his family.

"It's good to have you back, Mr Boggins," he said, clapping the hobbit on the shoulder. Bilbo was so pleased to be back that he forgot to correct Kili.

Gandalf cleared his throat, and he managed to bring the mood of the company down with a mere three words.

"Where is Nema?"

No one wanted to be the one to explain. The dwarves shifted from foot to foot, avoiding the wizard's gaze. Eventually, Thorin took it upon himself to share the bad news.

"We believe she was kidnapped. Just as we reached the mountains." Thorin sighed, gripping his sword tightly in his hand in an effort to expel the grief in his heart.

Gandalf stared. "Why are you not back there searching for her?" He asked incredulously.

"Durin's Day is nearly upon us! We cannot afford to wander from the road whenever one of us falls behind." Thorin retorted.

"I'd hardly call being kidnapped falling behi-" Bofur began, but Gandalf cut him off.

"You need her on this quest! What if she has been killed? How could you abandon her like that?"

"I told you I am not responsible for her fate!"

"She was born responsible for yours and you can't return the favour for even a few days!"

"Enough of this! We are wasting time! We must continue on to Erebor!" Thorin sheathed his sword and looked away, knowing that Gandalf was right. Her whole life was dedicated to keeping him safe, and he couldn't even protect her for more than a week.

"You are making a mistake, Thorin Oakenshield." Gandalf said quietly.

Thorin's gaze snapped back to Gandalf's.

"You know full well what awaits you within the Lonely Mountain. Without Nema by your side you have no hope of coming through it alive."

Kili and the other dwarves stared at Thorin. "What?" Asked the young dwarf. "What is waiting for you in Erebor besides the dragon?"

Thorin didn't answer. He stared back at Goblin Town, knowing he was going to have to return and find Nema. But then movement on the mountainside above them caught his eye.

"WARGS!" He cried, drawing his sword and calling the dwarves to arms.

"Run!" Gandalf bellowed, and charged down the mountain with the dwarves got on his tail.