Chapter XX

"You did what?" Jeremy heard Kate choke out, sounding half amused, half dismayed. He was sitting at his desk in the sitting room and she stood beside him, the picture of health and vitality in a black and white striped knit sweater and black leggings. Her beautiful face was awash with incredulity.

Nick grinned, flashing a certificate at them. "That's right, folks. You're looking at the newest ordained minister in Upstate New York."

Jeremy, who'd at that moment been more focused on his fiancé than on Nick, balked as he absorbed the words. "When did this happen?"

Staring at the sheet of paper he held in his hand, Nick had never looked more proud of himself. "This morning. At the bargain price of $32, it's one of the coolest things I've ever done online. Who knew it was this simple?"

"I can't believe you actually spent money on something that's probably not even legal," Clay piped up, shaking his head. He was lounging beside Elena on one of the couches.

"I don't appreciate your condescending tone, Clayton," Nick protested good-naturedly. "I'll have you know that this piece of paper is one hundred percent legit. It's the free ones you have to worry about."

Elena was laughing uproariously. "Seriously Nick. This takes the cake."

"Why did you do it?" Kate asked, still seemingly bemused.

Nick shrugged. "I figured you needed someone to perform the ceremony and who better than family?"

This is preposterous, Jeremy thought, eyeing the paper sceptically. "Are you sure that's legal?"

"Completely." Nick handed the certificate over for inspection.

It looked really professional, but Jeremy didn't know much about this kind of thing. "I don't know what to say," he replied, genuinely at a loss.

"That you accept, obviously?" When Jeremy and Kate continued to stare at him in silence, Nick planted both hands on the desk, leaning forward intently. "Come on. It's the perfect solution. No clinical, impersonal civil ceremony required. You can get hitched here, at Stonehaven with the whole pack present. How's that not a win?"

Jeremy and Kate had been engaged for just over a week and had talked at length about how they wanted to get married. In the end, since inviting an actual minister to Stonehaven was not an option, they'd settled on the registrar's office. Granted, Jeremy knew it wasn't really what Kate wanted despite her protests, but since there seemed no viable alternative, they'd made peace with it.

"Sorry, Nick," Clay said. "This is officially the worst idea you've ever had. And there have been many."

Rolling his eyes at his best friend, Nick looked at Elena pleadingly. "You agree with me, right? Think about it. You get to take some pretty pictures, decorate this place, go dress shopping with Kate..."

Elena's eyes lit up and Jeremy knew Nick had gained a supporter. "Maybe he has a point," she said grudgingly, a look of growing excitement spreading across her face.

"Come on!" Clay scoffed, in disbelief.

"Nick," Jeremy started, his tone laced with apology. "I don't think—"

"Jeremy, please," he interrupted, all trace of humour suddenly gone. "Look, I know everyone thinks I take very few things seriously and they'd probably be right. But my father was your best friend and if he were alive right now, I don't doubt that he'd have been the one insisting that he do this for you. I'm his son. He'd want this. He'd want me to do it on his behalf. Please."

Silence greeted his words. Even Clay didn't have any disparaging remarks to make – probably because none of them had ever seen Nick so determined. Closing his eyes, Jeremy pinched the bridge of his nose. This was insane. Nick, playboy extraordinaire, officiating their wedding? Nothing was more laughable.