Don't Forget Me When You're Famous [Chapter 7]

"Knock knock," a familiar voice chimed, walking into my room.

"Who the hell let you in here?!" I nearly shouted, scrambling to cover myself. I was, after all, still in my boxers.

"Oh relax, Kale, I'm not here for that," she winked, twisting a strand of her bleach blonde hair between her index finger and thumb. I felt myself blush beet red.

"Then what do you want, Heidi?" Her annoyingly sharp confidence was brushing my battered mood the wrong way.

"Just wondering if you'd received any word from our little local star?" So Honey hadn't just forgot about me, but others as well? Interesting. Her wide blue eyes bore into mine, and I could see the pleading in them; she was Honey's friend too, it would make sense that she was concerned as well.

"No," I muttered, looking at the floor so I didn't have to see her usually bubbly face fall. "She hasn't spoken to me in almost a week." I desperately hoped my voice didn't sound as pathetic and depressed as I was.

"Really?" Her blonde brows furrowed, and her skinny slouching shoulders straightened up. "I thought you two were like... peanut butter and jelly, you know, or ketchup and mustard.... Cottage cheese and tomatoes."

I sighed, not really wanting to get into it, "Well, we're- wait what? Cottage cheese and tomatoes? Who does that?"

"Kale," she said, her voice was low so I knew she was serious.

"Right, sorry... to be honest, Heidi, me and Honey," I trailed off, unsure of what to say, "I don't know what we are anymore."

"I just don't know."

+++

"Hello?" I was immediately surprised to hear Honey's voice on the other end.

"Oh, hi Mrs. Dently... is Kale around?" She asked for my son. Ever since her family had moved here, the two of them had been stuck together like glue.

"Umm, he is but he's got company over," I said, and there was a beat of silence.

"Who?" She didn't say it nosily, just curious.

"Oh," I blushed, embarrassed at not remembering her name, "I can't remember exactly what she said her name was... she's blonde if that helps? Quite pretty, really."

There was another silence, so long I thought she'd hung up.

"Oh," she breathed, nearly silent and with static breaking through her voice. There was an undertone of something there... concern? Not quite.

"I could leave a message for him if you'd like?" I asked, reaching for a pen.

"Oh no thank you, I'll just try again some other time," she murmured, seeming in a rush to go.

"Alright, take care Hun," I wished her luck with her music and the line disconnected, though whether it was her purposely hanging up on me, or the static breaking our connection, I'll never know.