Chapter 14

Chapter 14

“Where are we going?” Izzie demanded Colt to tell her, “What are you doing?”

“You are my second in command,” Colt turned on her, “That does not give you the right to speak down to me,”

“I merely ask since we haven’t stopped riding and the men are in need of rest. They’re falling on their feet!”

“We’re not resting because of your little friends back there,” Colt jerked his head over his shoulder, motioning to behind them in general.

Izzie blanked.

What? You didn’t think I believed you were on your own, did you?” Colt started to laugh at her, “I’m not stupid. You’ve been a part of that group fighting us as we eradicate this plague. Kill a few to save a thousand,”

“You believe that?” Izzie stared at him, “What if one of those few had the cure to the plague?”

Colt cocked an eyebrow at her, “These low-born peasants!?” He scoffed and Izzie felt it hit her as she had been a low-born peasant, “They can’t even read! They believe that God has done this to them rather than their own disease and crowded villages. They brought this on themselves,” Colt told her with finality before he kicked his horse forward and left her behind with the foot soldiers.

“Oh,” Colt called and turned back to her, “And we’re going to the capital, in case you wanted to know,”

* * *

“Where the hell are they going?” Iagan cursed in his thick Scottish accent as he consulted the marks in the road and the signs.

They were stood at a crossroads and three of the four directions would make sense for the army to take; there were villages in every direction. But the fourth direction was nothing but fields and forests.

Were they regrouping? Injured?

No one knew but Drystan had other things to worry about; every fibre of his being wanted to find Izzie and snatch her away from this Colt man but there was an even bigger danger closer to home.

Dawn.

She was withdrawn, went off in the middle of the night when she thought them all asleep and had known her way through that forest, where the bogs and snares were, whilst the rest of them were helpless.

Had she been through it before?

Drystan should give her the benefit of the doubt since she had saved his life when she shot that highwayman but something about her needled him.