Chapter Three: The Reaping (Part 2)

Did I just hear my name? I look up to see the lady's eyes wandering the crowd, no one moving. Keeping my eyes down, I silently squeeze my way through the crowd and onto the aisle. I feel eyes stare at me. "Elena..." I hear a whimper and I look up at Ben. Can I help? His eyes ask. I shake my head and walk up to the podium.

My breath beats quicker the moment my shoe touches the podium step, making me stop for a moment. "I don't bite," the lady says. I take another step, and a few more. I hide my fear and stand beside the woman.

"Now, for the boys." She reaches into the bowl and pulls out another name. "Ben Callaway." My breath quicken's and I collapse.

****

I wake up to a bump. I sit up quickly. I feel something moving from under me. I'm on a train. Then I remember what happened: Ben and I are going to be in the Hunger Games.

I stand up and slowly walk towards the door, putting my ear to the door. "But she didn't even get to say, 'goodbye,'" a light voice protests. Ben.

"I'm sorry," the lady says. "We were in a rush." I open the door. "Elena. I'm so sorry." I shake my head.

"How could you?" I whisper. "How could you take both of us?"

"It's not my fault. It's chance," the lady says and tries to smile. " I'm Nickolette Cap, this must be your brother, if I'm correct."

"I'm Elena Callaway and this is Ben," I say.

"Nice to you. We're almost there," she says and motions to the window, where the Capitol comes into view.