Gav's letter- prologue

My dearest Anya,

I am sure that by the time you will be reading this, I will be gone. That is all right. I am ready for death. I have lived my life to the fullest, and I’m sure you will too.

The reason for this letter is secret. I’m sure you saw my note on the outside, which said to only open it away from your parents. Please don’t read it out loud. Even to your little sister. I need you to be a secret, Anya.

            You’ve listened to my stories, haven’t you? I’m sure you are the only one, even of all your cousins. That is the reason you have been chosen, and not them. Do you remember the story of an underwater city? I’m sure you’ve heard of it in the petty fantasy books your mother has you read.

            Atlantis.

            It’s real, Anya. And it’s your job to protect it.

            When I was born, my grandmother entrusted me with this ring enclosed. She was chosen by her grandfather, and he was chosen by his grandfather, and he was chosen by his grandmother, who essentially was the first of us.

            Who is ‘us’?

            Well, that comes later, my dear Anya.

            As you can probably tell, I’ve also enclosed a credit card that holds many thousand dollars. Do not, I repeat, do not spend it on anything that I do not put here.

            You will need to travel to Siberian Russia, Anya, and you will need to find the coastal city of Magadan. From there, travel to an even smaller city that is located off of the coast on a little known island. There, you will find a shrine guarded by many shadow people.

            I am getting ahead of myself, aren’t I, Anya?

            For years, I have traveled to this same place and guarded it with the shadow beasts.

I, as many generations before, am the gatekeeper of Atlantis. With the ring enclosed, I was able to awaken the spear of the god Poseidon, the original guardian.

Now, you will go to Siberia and do your duty as the newest guardian.

            Don’t forget to read up on your Russian, Anya.

            My dearest Anya.

            I am not gone. Find me again, when you reach the shrine.

            I am so, so sorry that it chose you, my dear, but you cannot evade your fate. Go to Russia as soon as possible, and you will be happy.

            Your grandfather,

            Gav.

P.S.: I love you.