Job Hunt

"Where's this one at?"

I tug on my hair and daze at myself in the full length mirror.

"Cadets Corner." Mark raises an eyebrow.

"Isn't that a bar?" I nod and fix the little imperfections in my outfit. Greenish cargos, black combats, my old John Lennon jacket, a Nirvana shirt.

"Ya, but it's pretty cool. I think," I mumble as I check my phone. "Nikki's here," I say to the lump on the couch. I grab my guitar.

"Would you mind hurrying back to take care of me," Mark asks in a plugged voice, sounding like a kid. I smile.

"Of course, baby..." He smiles from the couch and I go to kiss him on the cheek. "No video games," I whisper. He groans and I give him a stern look. He sighs.

"Fiiiiiine," he sighs. I smile and wave from the door. "I love you!" I grumbles from the couch.

"Ich liebe dich, auch!" I mangage to shout just before the door latches.

I trot down the stairs, four stories, and no elevator. Nikki is leaning against the black suv parked in front of the building. She waves and opens the passenger door. I stick my guitar in and hop into the shotgun seat. She steps into the drivers seat.

"How's Mark doing?" She asks? Her voice is raspy and sore from all our auditions. But it's amazing how she can still make it rock.

"Terrible. he hasn't made a single video this week." She grimaces.

"At least it's only Tuesday." I shrug.

"Ya, but that's six videos he's missed. It's killing him. But he has done a few vlogs, so I'm sure they'll understand." She nods.

"So... Is this job permanent? Or just one show?" I shrug.

"Probably not permanent." She nods but I nudge her. "Hey, all we have to do is wait for that guy to say ok." She nods.

"But what if he's not ok with it? I mean... It was you who signed the contract, not us."

"Ya, but we sound better together, all four of us, than just me solo. I'm sure it won't be long." She smiles as she parks behind the bar.

"How can you be so sure?" I shake my head.

"Well if it's not this company, it'll be another. I promise. We totally kick ass on the stage, and it won't be long till we're sending all of our money to the starving children in Africa." Nikki laughs.

"Right after I buy a Lamborghini," she says as she begins to pull out Michael's drum set out of the back, piece by piece.

"No way in hell. We are all getting some sort of Camaro. I call the SS." She snorts and blows her black hair out of her face.

"Hey," I hear from behind us.

"Michael Lanigan, get yourself a fucking vehicle to transport your own damn drums! I have my own shit to care about!" Michael shrugs.

"Do either of you know where Dakota is?" I ask. Nikki looks away and when I turn to Michael he looks like a deer in the headlights. "Michael," I warn. He sighs.

"She got a call last night..." I fold my arms and scowl. I know where this is heading.

"From who?" Michael shrugs and stuffs his hands into his pocket.

"Keaton," I hear Nikki mumble.

Anger bubbles inside of me. Before I know it, I'm boiling inside and I need an outlet.