Chapter 3: Lamps Cause Major Issues

© Sarah Cosgrove 2011

**

Chapter 3

Lamps Cause Major Issues

(While Eric is sleeping, before Rachel comes over)

ERIC'S POV

"Rachel," I whispered feeling her warm breath run down my neck. She ran her fragile hands across my broad chest, my heart beat accelerating with every movement. Her chestnut hair gleamed in the sun light, as she moved to the picnic basket to pick another grape. "Here ya' go Rick," she said giggling as she tossed the grape in my mouth.

Immediately the vision disappeared and I shot up, half expecting her to be right by my side. With my eyes still being closed, I dragged my hand the distance, only to find cold, unmade sheets. My eyes fluttered open as I looked over: empty.

She drives me crazy; and she doesn't even know it.

Love had struck me ever since I first met her.

"Mommy," I groaned in my whiny eight year-old voice, "Do I have to wear this itchy thing?" I questioned, pointing to my party suit. Laughing, she cupped my face "Yes dear! We are meeting a new family today, you have to make a good impression! Plus, they need to be verified." A blue tie slipped around my neck, making my eyes burn brighter with curiosity "Who are we meeting mommy?"

"A new family that just moved in, The Fatum's."

I found myself at the "kid's table" with Elizabeth, just like any other party. The adult table boomed with laughter, from both families. Suddenly a little girl joined me at my table, her long hair swishing as she walked. Her two front teeth were missing, so she would whistle every time she spoke.

Elizabeth evaluated her skeptically then continued with "Hi, I'm Lizzie. Do you want to play dress up with me?" Rachel's eyes widened; she quickly nodded her head.

"Hi Rachel, I'm Eric, Lizzie's brother." I said sticking a hand out to shake hers. She started at my hand for a second then said shyly "Hi, I'm...Rachel?" I laughed and her cheeks turned tomato red, "I didn't forget my name," she said, whistling "Daddy said that when people become shy, they really don't feel like talking."

All I knew is that this little five-year-old had me wrapped around her petite finger. Soon enough, Lizzie and Rachel became best friends, and I slowly made my way into the picture.

Reality snapped me back into place. I got up and began to pace the room. Romeo and Juliet had been opened on my desk... it reminded me of Rachel.

"Hey Eric!" Rachel exclaimed enthusiastically, putting her arms around my neck, hugging me.

I immediately hugged her back and said "Hello Mrs. Capulet, or should I say Montague?" Her eyes went wide as I gave her a small sheet of paper, a casting list if you must. She anxiously received it, and once it was in her hands, she scanned it quickly.

"I'M JULIET!" She screamed, doing a happy dance in the school hallway. She was awfully loud for an eighth -grader.

Although Rachel was in theatre arts...

She stopped dancing, and scanned the list again. Her eyes grew wider, and her jaw was so ajar it had seemed to hit the floor. "Oh my gosh, you're not going to BELIEVE who's going to play Romeo!"

I hadn't really thought of that so I curiously asked "Who?"

The next two words sounded so vile coming out of her mouth, I swear I'd rather die at that moment.

"Mason Bline, the hottest guy in the whole school!"

I twitched and felt a newly familiar heat building up inside of me. Painfully, my fingernails started to grow; it was a part of my heritage to start transforming into our beings, at the age of four-teen.