1

authors note: Keep in mind that they are 10th graders in 2001 in this book. I know they all graduated HS, by then, in real life, but this makes it easier for me to create the story❤️
-Lunchbox

**Contains Self-Harm and Depression. if you are triggered by this, Please skip this chapter.
Patrick's POV:

It was another Monday morning. October 15th, 2005. I woke up from my dream-less, miserable sleep. I looked outside and it was pouring down rain. I got dressed and fixed my messy hair, and went downstairs to get something to eat before I go. I looked in the pantry, and it was empty, of course. I walked a few steps to the side and looked for food in the fridge and freezer. All we had was frozen chicken nuggets, I guess that will do. I microwaved a few of them, so at least I had a bit of energy. I had quickly devoured them like I haven't aten in days. I was eating more junk food and I was already gained a bit of weight but it didn't bother me, a lot. My mother was an acoholic. She used to never have had alcohol. But, that was all before my father passed away. It was hard for my mother and I, but we made it through it. I decided to walk to school, considering the time was 6:45 and the bus already went by. I walked into my mothers room real quick to give her a kiss good-bye. But she wasn't in there. Her room smelled like she washed everything in margaritas and tequilas and smoke ashes. "Mom!" I called and started looking around the house. I got a bit worried. But I thought "She might have went out for food." Maybe she finally had picked herself up and went to the store again. I shrugged and walked out of the house.

At school-

I walked to my locker, and dashed some extra cologne on me, so I didn't smell like my mother. I grabbed everything I needed for my first class and closed my locker door, just as the bell rung for first period. This boy, with black hair and heavy eyeliner stood there, With a few other larger boys. The one with the heavy eyeliner nodded slightly while the hallway was cleared and the boy on the right quickly punched me. He had red, long hair, glasses, was fairly skinny and had arm strength like there was no other. As the other boy, who was Jewish, with short dark brown hair and the biggest blue eyes. He kicked me, it didn't hurt as much as the punch did. The heavy eyeliner boy laughed and smirked, "Weakling."

The two others boys walked to their first period and the heavy eyelinered one, opened his locker which was on the other side of me. I sat there and I started crying. I just couldn't control my feelings for so long. The boy with the eyeliner turned around, I knew he felt completely sorry and guilty, he turned pale white and his eyes watered a bit. He sat next to me. "Hey, look, I'm sorry." He began to apologize.
I kept on crying and hid my hands in my jacket and wiped my tear. He noticed me do that and he held my hand. He raised my sleeve and all up and down my arm were cuts. Some old, some new, some scars, some bruises. I cried even more, because what was he going to do. Punch me? Kick me? Maybe hurt my cuts more? I bit my lip and looked into his brown eyes. He started crying and hugged me tight. "look, I'm so sorry, for all those times I picked on you. I always had a little something, like a feeling for you." He started crying as he admitted. I hugged him tightly back. "it's okay," I forgave him. I understand the feeling of making mistakes. "Wanna skip school?" I asked. I know it wasn't like me to skip school, but I thought both of us needed a break. We both helped eachother up and walked out the front doors. Nobody noticed us leaving, we were just really lucky. Pete held my hand and led me to his car. I saw his hand hold mine and I blushed. "Wanna go grab some Taco Bell?" He asked. I nodded and opened up the car door and sat in the passenger seat. It was a quiet drive to Taco Bell. I've never really been out to eat before, since my father passed away, especially to places like Taco Bell. He parked the car and looked at me. "Do you wanna go in?" He asked. I replied with a quiet, "Yes." We both got out and walked across the parking lot and into the building. We ordered a thing of nachos and he ordered a Chicken Soft Taco Fresco, and I copied his order, since I didn't know what to eat. We both sat down and took our meal to the table.
"I don't think you know my name, but my name is Pete." He smiled.
"I'm Patrick." I quietly smiled and blushed even more. I thought to myself, what is wrong with me? I'm falling for this boy.
We both quickly devoured our meal and drinks. In the car, we both looked at eachother and smiled. And we drove down to my house. We both walked in, the house smelled heavily of smoke. It was a little suspicious, I looked at Pete with a worried face and then back, I walked slowly to the smell that got stronger and stronger to my mothers room. The door was cracked, so then I saw her laying down, on the floor. She looked like she collapsed. I ran over to her and shook her. "MOM!" I repeatedly screamed over and over. Pete pulled me back a little bit and hugged me tight, I turned my head a little bit and saw a note. I broke the hug and read it,

Dear Patrick,

I'm sorry, I can't take this anymore without your Father. I know this was a stupid desicion and I was a bad mother toward you. Please don't end up like me, and I know you'll do well in life. You didn't deserve somebody who smoked almost every 5 minutes and drank and beaten you when I was crazy drunk. I'm so sorry for everything, and I hope you'll forgive me. I'll see you in the afterlife.

Love you, Pumpkin.

Mommy<3

I read that note over and over and over, a tear ran down my face every time I read it over. I felt like a complete failure. Pete held me in his arms and I cried into his chest. He rubbed my back and looked at me, "Would you like to move in with me? It's only me and my mom and my dad is in Florida for his job." He asked. I nodded and continued crying into his chest. He grabbed out his phone and called his mom. I silenced my cries for him.

4 hours later, After the cops came and took my mothers body out from our house and after I moved all my stuff to Pete's house, I just sat in my new room thinking. I was broken. Pete walked into my room and he sat on the bed with me. "Don't be super sad, I promise you, I'll take care of you. Want something to eat?" He asked.
"Yeah." I shrugged, still upset.
"Pizza?" He asked.
My face lit up. Oh how I loved pizza.
"Heck yeah!" I giggled.
Pete went on the phone and ordered some pizza from Pizza Hut. His mom gladly went out to pick us up some snacks and some clothes for me, plus our pizza. So it was just Pete and I alone in the house. Pete looked into my eyes and I looked into his. "I have to admit, your a little cutie." Pete smiled and kissed me. I kissed back. Then we both looked at eachother.
"are we a thing now?" I asked.
"I guess so!" He giggled, as we both kissed again.