1

Serena was just a baby when it was discovered that she had the gift of Sight. The seers always knew when one of their own had been born. All her life, she was taught their ways. The older seers had clearer visions of the future, but she always had some trouble with them. She might get glimpses, but they weren't much. The other seers insisted she would grow into her powers and she trusted them, since they could see the future much better than she could.

She was fourteen when she first got to see the birthing clams. She was amazed by how large they were, each being big enough to hold a baby. There were hundreds of them, too, some being opened and some empty, since their charges had just been taken and were either being care for by seers until their families could be chosen or had already been presented to their parents. Serena looked at one of the closed shells and wished she could be a mother to one of the babies. However, it was not the place of a seer to raise a child. She had been told that all her life.

"Where are your thoughts, Serena?" Talia, one of the older seers asked. She was in her fifties and had streaks of grey in her blonde hair. Her eyes were a pale blue and her tail the pure silver of a seer.

"I was just thinking that I would like to help here." Serena replied. She had brown hair and green eyes, but her tail was also silver. Silver scales covered much of her torso and her arm fins were the same color, making her shimmer when hit by any light. "When I am better at Seeing, I would like to help with the babies, I mean."

"That is a noble goal." Talia nodded her approval. "I believe you would do very well in such a role. However, you must always remember not to get overly attached to the babies. We will choose the home where they will do the most good, but their lives will not always be easy in those places. You must not become so focused on caring for the children that you forget the greater good."

"I understand." Serena assured her. She noticed some movement nearby and realized two shells were opening, side-by-side. She smiled and swam over, wanting to see the babies, quickly. A few other seers gathered around to meet their new charges. The first child she saw was a beautiful, little girl with golden hair and sapphire-blue scales. She opened her eyes to reveal that they matched. "She's perfect!" Serena exclaimed, thinking she was the most beautiful child the seer had ever seen. Nobody argued and she looked at the other child, frowning a little. He had black hair and a red tail, seeming the complete opposite from the girl. His eyes were dark brown. However, he looked up at Serena and she thought that he was adorable, as well. Who cared what color his tail was?

The head of the seers, Spiro, approached and looked at the pair. The other seers parted for him. He was the oldest and the wisest among the group. He looked at the two, silently, his gaze seeing far into the future. After a minute, he nodded. "These are very special children. They will have a great destiny to fulfill." He looked around and his gaze fell on Serena. "You will help Talia care for them until it is time to select their parents."

She nodded, dumbly. No one would ever question the ruling of Spiro.

Seeming satisfied with his decision, he nodded and swam away. The other seers began talking to each other. Most of them could see visions of the possible futures for the babies, but none of them knew as much as Spiro.

"Well, I suppose that's settled." Talia commented. "Help me carry them to the nursery."

Serena nodded and picked up the boy, feeling strangely protective of him. Talia picked up the girl and away, they swam.

Aria felt strange as they swam deeper into the ocean. She wondered if she was supposed to have frozen to death, by now, but that didn't seem to be an issue. She felt water passing through gills on her neck. She hadn't even realized that merfolk had gills on their necks until hers appeared. It took some getting used to.