Athenia's Choice: Prologue

Prologue

17th May 1838

She pressed against the door. Listening.

"I will not go along with your plans!" the woman's voice hissed defiantly, seeping beneath the crack at the bottom of the door.

"We will have money to present to Mr Fuller," the man's voice returned impatiently.

"Aha! So you only care about becoming rich? I am not giving away Catriana, I will not!" the woman, now very distressed, screamed hysterically. She almost reeled back in horror.

"I've made all the arrangements- we cannot cancel them now," the man fumed. She imagined him shaking his fist. What could that fist do? She wondered, suddenly paralysed with fear and distress.

"You cannot do this; I don't care if my other daughter dies! My beautiful Catriana...," the woman's voice had become crackly and hoarse. She felt like all the colour had been drained from her life; her insides were turning and twisting with nausea, and an arrow full of the deepest hurt and betrayal struck her heart.

"You won't regret curing her, I promise..."

Suddenly, the door handle clicked, turning. She started running down the corridor. Thuds from the heels of her shoes bounced off the floor, echoing against the walls. Then she stopped. Someone was sprinting down the corridor the other way. She felt a shiver go over her. Someone had been behind her, also listening.

*****

Later that day, the carriage rolled to a halt into the innocent-looking village of Hooe. The door of Talleys Cottage opened. Coughing heavily, she followed the other girl inside. The man and woman inside the cottage introduced themselves as David Carey and Hannah Hutchinson, who were getting married next week. They bundled the two upstairs, into a small bedroom, where the curtains were hastily drawn.

"Don't worry, you'll both be fine," Hannah reassured them gently.

With all the wedding preparations, the two men sneaking into the house went unnoticed.

When she woke up, she wasn't coughing, but her relief was wrestled away by horror and fear. The room was empty. She felt her heart rate ascend, her pale face crease into a panic-stricken expression. Hannah swung open the door, looking bewildered.

Downstairs, someone was celebrating...