Chapter Seventeen

It wasn’t until we were in the library, scouring the shelves that I realised I’d lost my wallet.

“Oh damn. My wallet’s missing!” I cried, frantically patting my pockets for it.

“You’re kidding me. That’s got all your money in, credit cards, everything!” Marcus said.

“Yeah I know!” I groaned, turning round to go look elsewhere.

As  I walked off, I felt someone walk into me.

“Oops, sorry.” I said, looking down to see whom I had bumped into.

Marissa stood looking up at me holding a stack of print-outs.

“Marissa? What on earth are you doing here?” I asked, before kicking myself mentally for asking a stupid question. This was her local library; why wouldn’t she come here?

“I came to help you out.” she replied.

Or there was that.

“Marissa, I appreciate the offer but -”

“Look, I printed out a list of every ancient site in the world that could be used as a hideout for anything Evil.” she said, holding up the huge stack of paper.

My eyes fell out of my head, though thankfully not literally, the last time they did that it had been a very awkward experience explaining things to the King of France.

“You. . .did that. . .for me?” I said.

She nodded and handed them me and sat down at a table, waiting as we all crowded round it and pored over the lists

“I thought about Stonehenge, in England? It’s really old.” Marissa put in.

I nodded and ticked it as a possibility with a pen that lay on the table.

“Machu Picchu?” Harvey suggested.

“Hmm. . .It’s a possibility.” I said, marking it off on the list.

Suddenly I felt one of the Lists rustle inside my pocket where I kept them. I pulled it out and gasped in horror.

“Someone die?” Brad asked.

“Yes,” I replied. “Barry and Angela White.” 

Harvey paled.

“No. . .” he said softly, tears forming. Melissa hugged him to her.

“Shh. . .it’s okay sweetie. It’s okay.” she said comfortingly as he sobbed into her shoulder.

He raised a tear streaked face to look at me.

“C-can I come with you? To say goodbye?” he croaked out.

I nodded and stood up and Harvey walked to me and wrapped his arms round me, still crying silently.

“Who’s died?” Marissa asked softly, looking upset.

“Harvey’s adopted parents.” Melissa replied. They looked after him since he was a baby and we couldn’t look after him.

“Why?” she asked.

“I’ll explain in a moment after Tobias and Harvey go.” Melissa replied quietly. Marissa nodded and Harvey and I vanished from the library, walking through the Planes, appearing in Angela and Barry’s living room.

Harvey gasped as he saw their bodies on the floor. I simply looked at their bodies, then at their souls, which were calmly hovering by their lifeless husks. I transformed into the Grim Reaper and looked at them.