Prologue

What you need to understand is that this story takes place in a world parallel to your own. A world where history is different. 

Adam and Eve weren’t the first humans to be created within this reality. However, they were thrown out of Eden, and the Bible retained their stories.

In the Beginning there were only two aspects of God; the Lord and the Lady. They created the Earth and the Life upon it. After a few million years had passed the very first humans appeared. I was one of those humans. My best friend was one of the first humans  to die. This is my story; and how I became what you all know as the Grim Reaper.

God turned to His Angels. 

“I have seen the future of Man. It is not good. Men will kill each other. Man will change the world  for the worse.”

His Angels nodded in agreement and God continued.

“In the future, the numbers of people being killed will rise too high for me to handle alone. Yes, I am all powerful. But, I have other worlds to oversee also. So I will choose a human, someone who shall become my ‘Angel of Death’ to help prevent such a future. Humans shall know him as the ‘Grim Reaper.. His name will be. . .”

“Tobias! This way, come on! It’s over here!”

“Hush Marcus!” I said, as I kept my eye fixed on my prey. It was some time before what you might call tea and Marcus and I were out hunting. Our current prey was a baby woolly rhino, just big enough to feed us. I hefted my axe  and threw it as hard as I could at the quietly grazing animal. The rhino turned and met my axe, which smacked it between the eyes. With a surprised bellow, the rhino fell to the ground, stunned.

Quick as a flash, Marcus was on it with his knife, slitting it’s throat, allowing the crimson blood to stain the land red.

Once satisfied it was no longer moving or breathing, he began the task of skinning it. I walked over to help out.

“Marcus. Do you think this will happen to us one day? That we’ll just stop breathing and moving, like the animals?” I asked him.

He looked at me.

“What strange questions you ask Tobias! Don’t be silly, of course not!”

There was an awkward silence for a second, and I mentally kicked myself. I was always asking questions like that, I couldn’t help it.

In an effort to break the silence, as I buried the bones of the animal and stuffed the meat into the pouch at my belt, I grinned and threw the fur at Marcus, who caught it with a laugh and draped it over his shoulder.

“Shall we go to the Cliff?” I asked him.

He nodded eagerly and ran off.

“Bet you can’t catch me!” he called.

I tore after him at a high speed, vowing to catch him this time.

The Cliff was a place where we could see the ocean, or as we called it, the Big Water. We knew how dangerous it was, but we loved it. We simply couldn’t keep away. It was on that day that the Big Water took Marcus. 

Laughing happily, we ran to the edge of the rocky outcrop, spreading our arms wide as if to embrace the breeze that blew in our faces. Marcus turned to face me.

“Shall we play our game?” he asked, grinning.

I nodded, a playful smile on my face. Our game involved picking up rocks and seeing how far we could throw them. If your rock had made the biggest splash after five rocks were thrown, then you were leader for the rest of the day.