Chapter Seven

"Why are you cooking them breakfast?" Allie demanded of her sister as the scent of frying bacon filled the air.

"Because they are our parents whether we like it or not and they probably don't have a dime to buy their own meals."

"I want them to leave." Allie said, wrapping her arms tight around herself. Hawke nodded in agreement from where he sat sharpening his knife at the table. Violet and Frank were out on the porch watching the rain that was still falling heavily from the sky. Jack was standing in the doorway spinning the cylinder of his revolver; letting the sound of the clicking metal fill the tense silence.

After a few moments of watching Violet and Frank, Jack locked the cylinder back in place and slid the gun back into his holster and then he walked into the cabin closing the door behind him.

"Hawke, I need to talk to you." he said to the Indian. Hawke didn't question him, simply stood and followed Jack into Jack's bedroom. Lily and Allie watched the men and then looked at each other questioningly.

"Hawke, they plan on taking Allie." Jack said once the men were alone. Hawke nodded.

"I knew there was another reason they were here." he replied.

"That's not all. They want to take her back to Virginia and sell her to a man to pay off more of their debts."

"Just like Lily."

"I don't know what the damn idiots think they're gonna do the next time they get in debt. I mean I don't know if they got a family dog or nothing but if I was him I'd be getting the hell out of town cause he'll be next." Hawke just nodded at the boys rambling.

"I will not let Allie leave this home." Hawke said matter of factly.

"Neither will I." Jack added putting his hand on his gun. Hawke ran his own hand along his knife in the leather sleeve on his leg and nodded.

"The law is on their side." he said thoughtfully.

"That's what they said last night. I could hear 'em talking and Violet said they could just go get help from the law in town."

"Marshall Yale is gone on business and Deputy Timmons would have no choice but to give her to them."

"Yea but I got a plan…" Before Jack could say anything else Allie came bursting into the room with Lily trying desperately to calm her. Allie threw herself into Jack's arms and Jack held her tight while looking desperately at Lily.

"What's the matter with her?" he asked as Allie sobbed and clung tightly to his black button down shirt.

"She heard you talking." Lily replied. "We both did." she added with trepidation. Allie was shaking in his arms and Jack rubbed her back, doing his best to comfort her.

"Can we have a minute you two?" Jack asked Hawke and Lily. Hawke nodded, wrapped his arm around Lily's waist and led her out of the room.

Jack pulled Allie away from him enough so that he could put his hands on her cheeks and force her to look up at him. Her face was wet with tears and her dark eyes were wide with fear.

"I can't go back to them, Jack! I can't leave you and Lily and Sarah and Hawke! You don't know what it's like with them and if they sell me to some man.. Oh God! What if he's like Nathan and he does the things to me that Nathan did to Lily. Jack I would…." Jack pressed a quick, hard kiss to her lips to quiet her and she stopped talking and stared up at him.

"I have a plan, Allie. You have to trust me okay? I won't let them people take you anywhere." 'Even if it means I gotta kill them to keep you safe' he added silently. "Do you trust me, doll?" Allie stared up into his bright blue eyes and knew with all of her heart that she did trust him. Jack was her hero. He had come to her rescue that day in that train station in Helena, he had saved her from Nathan and he had been by her side ever since.