Big Changes, Little Fangs

This is a little something I started a long, long time ago. Oh and the prologue is supposed to be a copy of an e-mail... just FYI. hehe

PROLOGUE

To: VampQueen987@www.vamp.org

From: R.Kensington@www.vamp.org

Subject: My Daughter

Body:

Good Evening, Your Majesty,

My Daughter, Rebecca Kensington, is almost of age and has yet to discover her true form. Her mother and I have chosen not to tell her of her vampirism until her 18th birthday, which is rapidly approaching. By our law, I know we are to report new vampire "births" in person, but due to technology and my circumstances, I hope this will suffice. I will send our blood to your personal office in Virginia. My signature is attached. I will send my daughter's at your soonest convenience.

Sincerely,

Robert Kensington

CHAPTER 1

"Put that awful shirt down now," I said as my best friend Stephanie pulled an awful black tattered v-neck off of the clearance rack. "I thought it was cute..." she said with an attitude. Thursdays after school, me and my best friend Stephanie Wyndham go to Lakecrest Shopping Center, AKA The Mall.

Staring at those hideous blouses were hurting my head. "Can we please leave this store? Everything in here is clashing with my brain."

"Okay, okay fine. Lets go to American Eagle then."

Stephanie sighed. She really doesn't like shopping there.

I practically run to Am. Eagle. I was eyeing the hoodies like a brunette homing pigeon. I found a medium at the very bottom of a stack of cotton-blends when my cell phone rang. It was my dad. "Hey daddy. Sup?"

"Hey sweetie, I need you home."

"Dad! It's mall day!" I whined.

"It's non-negotiable. You. Home. Now." Click!

I sighed, bought my damn sweater I looked so hard for, then headed to the car.

I trudged through the mall, trying to get out, when I bumped into this HUGE 6 foot 7 guy with "cool guy" hair and piercing eyes. He looked pissed off at first, then he looked at my face and his expression changed from angry, to knowing.

The intensity of his stare gave me chills, in a very bad way.

I ran away like a freak. Stephanie followed suit, though she didn't understand why.

She didn't see his eyes...

***

When we got to my little cottage style home in Lakecrest, I went straight to my father's office. He was in there all the time.

My father Robert was a man of average height, with smooth olive-toned skin and rich, dark wavy hair. His coloring was a clear indicator that he was from Spain, but he was adopted by white grandparents. That's why my name isn't spanish. He was dressed in his usual business clothes, dress shirt, nice tie and slacks.

My father looked very serious. It wasn't suprising, he's not the joking type.

Stephanie tactfully left the room leaving me at my father's mercy.

"Rebecca, today when your mother gets home, there's some very important things we need to talk about regarding your birthday."

"But mom isn't supposed to be home for two hours! I could have stayed at the mall..."

"Well, there's riffraff at the mall that I don't want near you." My dad gave me a stern look that made me think he knew more than he was saying.

For a brief moment, I saw the man with the eyes pop into my head. I fought a shiver and made a hasty exit from the office.

When I entered my room, Stephanie was sitting on my bed. She had my iPod out and was playing some music. Her eyes were closed and she was singing her little heart out. My laughter brought her back to reality. Her dark green eyes were startled, then she laughed with me. Stephanie was a very playful and cheery person, despite her appearance. She's pale as a porcelain doll, with waist length jet black hair. She dressed in head to toe black every day, and wears black eyeshadow and liner. She's a champ when it comes do dealing with awkward stares and rude comments. She doesn't do it to "be cool" or "goth", her parents dress the same way and she was just raised in black. It's her thing, and it's wicked cool.

As teenage girls, we naturally started talking about our respective boyfriends and how cute everything was about them. My boyfriend is named Michael and and her boyfriend's name is Garrett. Naturally, the conversation ended up about sex. I mean, come on, we're both practically 18. It was getting pretty graphic, then my mom just busted into the room.

"Don't you love it when they grab your... HEY MOM!"

Stephanie and I did the body freeze that everyone does when they get caught doing something they shouldn't.

My mom Carol just stood in the doorway and laughed. She's a very carefree woman. She picks up on body language and her instincts are pretty much always right. She's mixed in ethnicity, she's Scottish and African American. She's short and athletic with tan skin and red super curly hair. She's the only black ginger kid that anyone's ever met. I think she takes pride in that fact. She thrives off of being unique and different.

"Hey sweetie, hey Steph! Wel,l your father and I have some very important things to talk about. Steph, I'm gonna have to ask you to boot." Stephanie sighed.

"Alright, I'll leave. This time." She jumped up, hugged my mom, and walked out.

"By the way, I'm borrowing your iPod!" Steph shouted from the hallway. Bitch.

My mom led the way to the living room, and I followed making small talk. I approached my dad, not really knowing what to expect.

He was sitting stiff as a board on the sofa, and my mom took the spot beside him.

After a minute of uncomfortable silence, my dad spoke

"Rebecca. Becca, sweetie. You know we love you-"

"You're getting a divorce!" I was already crying.

"Oh heavens no! Thats not it at all. Its regarding your birthday!"

"Oh." Mollified, I didn't interrupt again. My dad continued.

"As I was saying, you know we love you. But we haven't been completely honest with you. As you know, your 18th birthday is two weeks away, and thats a big step for you, as a woman." Uh, that sounded like it was heading nowhere good. "I really don't know how to say this but, ah... I love you, you know that right? Cause i truly do-" My mom jumped in. "Seriously Robert. Just say it. Okay I will then. Honey, when you turn eighteen, youre gonna change physically."

"Mom, my boobs are done growing." I didn't get it.

"Uhm, no sweetie, we're not talking about your chest. You're going to become a vampire."

I stared at my mother like she was speaking Chinese.

"How do you expect me to believe that? What are you, ill?"

I laughed, then got pissed when they just stared at me with a disappointed look.

"Well what? Is this some joke? If you didn't want me to go to the mall, you could have just told me, not made up some elaborate joke."

My mother looked at me for a long minute, like she was thinking about something. Then she smiled, and fangs grew where normal teeth should have been.

All I remember is the carpet rushing up to my face as I passed out.

******

Thanks for reading!