Chapter 3

I wait patiently in the room waiting for the man to come back. I didn't bother to look through the cabinets because I knew I wouldn't be able to find mine and slip away without knowing my name. I could hear the footsteps of busy people outside but it was almost ten minutes before the man came back.

"I was right. Just wanted to make sure. Her name is Odysseya Rose Malrin. Odd I know, apparently her parents were both history teachers and the favorite subject of the house was Greek mythology. I guess since she is a girl they decided to make Odyssey more feminine. Personally I would have picked something not so bizarre. But you know, blue collar people always wanting to jazz up their lives a bit." He laughed and walked back over to the O cabinet and pulled out the file.

The folder was a typical manila folder in the rounded rectangle shape. Not fresh out of the factory in the last decade by the looks of it. I wasn't sure if they reused old folders or if they had been tracking me for a long time. One scared me more than the other and I'll give you the hint. It wasn't reduce, reuse, or recycle. I grabbed the folder from his hands.

"I  wish to look over the file is private. Any other information should be brought to me." I turned and told the man.

"Alright. I'll bring the girl to you then for further examination." He replied and started to head for the door.

"No! I mean, that won't be necessary. Bringing in the patient will only cause time loss. I'll have time to exam her later. In the mean time just get me a private room."

"Ok, alright. It will just be a moment. I need to gather a few security guards and..."

"I said private! I do not want anyone within 20 feet of that or the patient's room. She should have no contact with any doctor unless it is me. Is the clear?" I demanded. I needed to be sure nobody would come near me or the room. If they did whatever plan I was going to make would be over.

"Ok, ok! Come with me as I arrange the room. They don't allow unauthorized people this the room without a supervisor. It won't be long anyway, I think they have a room free for situations like this."

We walked back out into the large room. The man called out a name and a short, pudgy man came to him.

"I need you to take Ms..... uh what was your name? I don't think it was ever put on the notice." He stammered. I realized I hadn't even looked to see what his name was either.

"Oh well I shouldn't be asking you that when you don't even know mine or this gentleman next to me. I am Alan Vernon and this man is Bert Trovmen, my assistant."

I shook both of the men's hands and Alan turned to Bert and instructed him to take me to meeting room 4F.

"How many guards should I..."

I cut him off and in a sharp tone said, "None! I can't have anyone within 20 feet due to the special needs of this patient."

The man glanced at Alan but made no noise or movement until he gently grabbed my arm to escort me to my private room. We stepped onto the elevator and Bert pressed an unnumbered button that I assumed went to the fourth floor. The elevator had no markings and unlike a regular elevator didn't tell you what floor you were on. The only special button was a slightly bigger red one just below the rest. I took a shot in the dark and guessed that it was for emergencies. I had been doing a lot of guessing and assuming in this place, I figured it was time for some answers.

"Bert when we get into the room I have a few questions you must answer."

He was startled, obviously not aware that I would speak to him.

"Wh-what kind of questions? I'm authorized to only answer a list of general questions including the location of the restrooms and the exit."

I took a breath. This man was dedicated to his work, it would take some time to crack him. But he had to be the person to ask. Anyone above him would catch on to my disguise real quick. This man wouldn't though. He seemed to have the lowest IQ of anyone I had met in the building. Being an assistant suited him because even I wouldn't trust him running any equipment except the elevator and possibly a key to the cleaning supply closet.