11 - Curiosity Killed The Cat After All

Chapter 11: Curiosity Killed The Cat After All

“What do you mean you just handed it over?” Sienna exploded at the 13 year old girl.

Marinie shrugged. “It’s not like she meant us any harm. She’s been protecting us all along.” She pursed her lips for a second, as if thinking about which words to say, then turned to Ivan, who leant against the stem of the mushroom tree they had slept under with his eyes closed and his hand to his forehead. “’Always’.”

His eyes snapped open, revealing startled dark brown eyes. “What?”

Marinie bit her lip and shrugged. “Before she left she said for me to tell you that. I don’t know what it means... but I guess you do.”

Sienna sighed after a few seconds silence. “Should we keep moving?”

“Maybe we’ve gone far enough,” Tosh stated, walking back from where he’d done his business. “Maybe we should just stay here for now... search around.”

“I agree with my brother,” Marinie nodded thoughtfully. “Plus, haven’t you watched the past Games’? Sooner or later they’re going to make one side of the field draw out from where-ever they are hiding. They’re going to draw us together so we’ll fight.”

The 3 of them looked towards Ivan, since he was their current leader. He just pinched the bridge of his nose and kicked off the side of the stem with his foot. He spun around, looking at the misty sky and shadows. “What do you think, Elenie, huh? Should we continue? Or should we stay here and let you protect us like we’re children?” he kicked a pebble, which went flying.

Marinie and Tosh sighed quietly at the same time. Sienna pressed her lips into a thin line, then turned to the two of them and started murmuring about what they’re going to do.

I sat back, having had been watching from one of the mushrooms across from them. What ever so happened to the shy and stuttering Ivan I had known back before this? He’s turned into some kind of hating machine...

I then remembered that this is what happens to people in the Games’.

.....................................................................................................................................................................

I trailed along behind the group as they made their way along the lines of mushrooms in silence.

They’d decided to stop moving farther away from the Cornucopia and instead started to move back the way they had come. They obviously didn’t want to take the risk of going farther when they knew what might happen if they Gamemakers’ draw us all out together. It could be this side that gets drawn to them.

Ivan had calmed down now and was in the lead yet again with his spear. Next came Sienna, with her knife drawn and shiny from its most recent polishing. I remember her saying she’s best at hand-to-hand combat and then quietly thought that she must be pretending to be good with a knife for the enemy.

Tosh and Marinie trailed behind, slouching a little, with the baggage of a large pack strapped to their soldiers.

The twins had to carry the packs, though the packs were both wider then their shoulders and down to their thighs in length, because Sienna and Ivan needed to be light if they needed to fight.