Chapter 21

Remember Peter Saunderson, Roger's so-called lover, who's filled with spite? Now he wants to meet with Harry at the bridge where they fought twenty years ago.

Back at the office, Harry found Miss Giveny fussing over the stalled fax machine.

Harry fiddled with buttons until the light flashed on, and they heard the appropriate whirring sound. The transmission of typed words on a page over a telephone wire baffled his secretary, who barely accepted the electric typewriter.

“I can hardly believe what happened in court. Forfar, who was very much on Norma’s side the last time, threw me out. Something really stinks.”

Miss Giveny collected her file and trundled into her office. “Mr. Crawford was very worried about Norma Dinnick,” she said.

“How so?”

“I don’t really know, but he spent a lot of time at her place just before he died.”

“Really? Are there any files from his visits?”

“Not a one. Just her husband’s old estate file.”

“Any billings?”

She shook her head. “And he was there almost every day for several weeks before he died.”

Harry knew Richard Crawford was incorrigible when it came to his female clients. Sometimes he caught glimmers of Norma as a young and attractive woman, but for him, Norma was all enigma and intrigue.

 “I think he was helping her with a personal problem from way back, urging her to do something about it, and she kept refusing.”

“He never said anything at all?”

His secretary pursed her lips. “Mr. Crawford never discussed his clients with me.”

Harry shrugged and headed for his office. From his doorway, he called back to her, “Did you find a place for Norma to stay?”

“Yes. The Madrid Towers can take her tomorrow afternoon, “ she replied.

“Great. Give her a call and let her know, please.”

“I already did.”

“Was she all right when you spoke to her?”

“As far as I could tell.”

Seated at his desk, he stared up Bay Street musing about Crawford’s womanizing and his potential connection with Norma. Harry’s thoughts shifted back to Natasha. He could put his finger on nothing troubling other than a growing coolness and her questions about his father. Longing for the uncomplicated passion of their first months, he dialed her office. After being told she was not in, he did not leave his name. Better let sleeping dogs lie until Friday night, he decided.