Chapter 5

Josh took the food we'd just brought from Tom and started to make us dinner. Tom showed me to the spare bedroom and told me to start getting ready. I was glad to have a little bit of time to myself, to convince myself that Josh and I would get on well and that my mind was just being foolish. I perched on the bed and looked around the cream room. It felt like the first time that I'd stayed at Tom's, unusual. Nothing like all the times that I'd moved before. I was used to that, this some how felt different.. Not unnerving, but a little uncomfortable.

Fifteen minutes later, Tom popped his head around the door to inform me that dinner was ready. I'd just finished curling the ends of my hair, and my make-up was the first thing I had done.

I stood up and left the room, walking into the living room / kitchen.

"It's on the side Lucy!" Josh said, smiling at me. I walked into the kitchen area and picked up my plate and cutlery, then joined them on the sofa. "So, do you like being at Waterloo road?"

"It's alright. Not much different to my other schools." I mumbled, feeling a bit more confident around Josh after my mental preparation in the bedroom.

"Really? I hated it when I first started!" Josh said.

"Yes, but the school you'd come from was a lot posher than Waterloo road, Josh. That's probably why you hated it!" Tom added in.

"Sh Dad!" He said, and nudged Tom, causing his food to fall from his fork.

"Oi watch it you!" He said and shook his head, a smile on his face.

"Where did you live before Greenock?" Josh asked.

"London, Essex, various places in Manchester..." I looked at Josh's surprised expression. "I moved around a lot because of family things."

"Oh." Josh's smile returned to his face. "At least I'm not the only one that's not got the perfect family!"

I nodded and pursed my lips, before continuing to eat my dinner. It was silent for a few seconds, an awkward cough from Tom breaking the silence, then it returned again. I took a few more mouthfuls of food before anyone spoke.

"So, do you have a boyfriend?" Josh questioned.

I shook my head. "Nope. Do you?"

"Not yet!" He said.

Tom looked up at him. "But you're seeing someone?"

"Yeah..."

"And when will I get to meet him?" Tom put his fork down.

I left them to their conversation about Josh's love life, and finished my dinner. I then excused myself and went to finish getting ready.

An hour later we arrived at the party in the dingy Rochdale rugby club. As we walked through the wooden double doors, I was shaking from the cold and Tom put his arm around me, rubbing the upper part of my left arm, trying to warm me up a bit. I smiled at him, then looked at the people in front of us. There was about forty here so far, and no doubt there would be more coming. We walked further into the hall and a man approached us.

"Tom!" He said, holding his arms out. Tom removed his arm from me, and 'manly hugged' his friend.

"Adrian. How you been mate?"

"I've been well. Can't believe you actually tore yourself away from the Scottish country air and made it down here!" Adrian joked.

"Well, it was about time that a visit was due, and I couldn't miss our Gem's engagement party could I?" Tom replied.

"I'm glad ya did!" Adrian said, as he slapped Tom on the arm. He then looked up at Josh and I. "Joshy boy!"

"Alright mate?" Josh said, grinning. Adrian slow motion ran over to him and 'manly hugged' him too. He then stepped back and looked at me.