We're filled with shock and awe

It was the most nervous she'd ever been. She and Sam had been trying to have a baby for a whole year now, but it seemed the more they tried, the harder it became to conceive. Her hands trembled as she picked up the pregnancy test. She waited so long. She almost lost hope. Her heart stopped as she read it. It was positive. She began to cry. She'd never been this happy in her life. It was a miracle. This was going to be their miracle child. This could save their marriage.

She loved Sam more than anyone. He was good to her. He helped her out of her troubled marriage to John. He cared about her more than anyone ever had. He was special. Being married to him was like a dream. He was her savior. She loved every bit of him. And he loved her back.

She waited on the couch for an hour. He was never late from work. She started to worry that something was wrong, but the sound of the car eased her anxiety. She got up and went to the window as his car pulled up in the driveway. Her heart raced with the anticipation of telling him. He smiled at her as he walked through the door. "Hey," he whispered through a kiss.

She took his coat from him and pulled him towards the couch. "I have some big news." She couldn't hide her excitement. They'd waited for this for so long. It almost most hurt to think about it.

He laughed as they plopped down on the couch together. He glanced at their hands that had entwined together. "What is it?"

She bit her lip nervously. It was best just to tell him. "I'm pregnant."

He stared at her in awe. "Really?"

She nodded excitedly, wrapping her arms around him. The feeling of him holding her tightly warmed her heart. The love between them was true. There was nothing better. This baby was a chance for a better life. This baby could save them.

At three months, they were already picking out names. "What about Edward?" her husband asked.

She turned her head to gaze at him as she laughed. "Edward Bates?" She pulled the blanket tighter to her. "Sounds like the name of a serial killer."

Sam scoffed, staring up at the ceiling. "Hector?"

"No. It sounds too harsh." She ran her hand over her small bump. She loved her child. He was going to be perfect.

"Vanessa?" He rolled over onto his side, smiling at her.

She rolled her eyes playfully. "It's gonna be a boy. I can feel it." She smiled down at her belly. "How about Norman?"

Her husband stared at her plainly. "Norma and Norman?"

She smiled widely. "Yeah." She and this baby were connected. She loved her baby more than anything. Norma always wanted to be a mother. And up until now she never really felt like a mother. She never really treated Dylan like he was her child. She had a hidden resentment towards him. It wasn't his fault that what happened happened. But that didn't stop her from blaming him, even if he was only six years old.

Sam reached over and shut off the light. "Norman it is."

The next few days Norma had been having complications with her pregnancy. She couldn't stand the thought of anything happening to Norman. She needed him. He wasn't even born yet, but they were a part of each other. They belonged to each other. They were supposed to be together.

She had been having terrible nightmares throughout her pregnancy, and they were all about Norman. He grew up to be murderer. He killed her. She woke up one night drenched in sweat. She'd had a dream that Norman stabbed her multiple times in the stomach...but the pain didn't go away once she woke up. She climbed out of bed and flicked on the light. Her heart sank as she glanced down at her blood soaked clothing. She'd lost a part of her that night. She cried for days. She never truly got over it.

It hurt Sam too. He was never the same after that night. Something died inside of him. He never treated Norma the same. He started beating her—abusing her. He drove her to insanity. There was no going back. Nothing could save her.